• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to save underline options

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have to underline a lot of words in my indesign text and I tried to save my underline options but I don't know how.

I have gone in underline options, I changed them, but when I want to underline an other word, the options that I have entered do not appear and it comes back as regular options. 

Sorry for my english, I am a french indesign's user.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new Character Style that has the underline options you want. Then you can apply that style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much, but I have done it (and I don't know how ! this is the real problem) in former text without applying any character style. 

In this former text, if I go to unlerline options, it's saved as 0,7 pt / 2 pt like I wanted, but in my new text when I go to underline options and I change it, it's just changing for the word I am underlining to but it's not saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just like this WhatsApp Image 2022-06-30 at 12.25.49.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GLobal default settings are saved when nothing is selected. By selecting text first you are limiting the change to the selected text.

That said, the character style is the better practice (and character styles should do as little as possible like defining only Bold or Italic, or setting an underline, without setting any other text attributes unecessisarily to make them more versatile. By using a style you are able to make a change in the style definition and it will be changed wherever the style has been applied.

And you can still create the underline style and apply it to all previously underlined text using Find/Change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But hwo to change global default setting without selecting anything ? in this picture I have not selected anything and I can't change any option. 

On my previous picture, perhaps I have done it but I don't know how. Can you tell me please ? WhatsApp Image 2022-06-30 at 12.44.04.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must click the checkbox in the upper left that turns the underline on, then the fields for weight and offset will be active. Uncheck the box again before clicking OK to prevent all text from being underlined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for everything sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines