• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set a specific iteration of a font character in InDesign

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Cy font in InDesign for a brochure. The font has different iterations for some of the letters. i.e. a sharp squared-off edge and a soft curved version. However, if I favor one over the other, where do I go to set my preferences for that font if I want the soft vs. square, or vice versa? Currently, it cycles through the different versions of each character when placing large blocks of text. I thought it might be their priority in the glyph panel, but that doesn't seem to be it. Does anyone know where I can set this? 

Please advise.

Example:

Cy Character Versions.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Hi @Steph5FB7:

You can also control the display with the OpenType features: specifically Contextual Alternates and the Stylistic Sets. I am showing them via the OpenType button at the bottom of the text frame (the blue highlights the changed characters) but you can control this via the Paragraph style > OpenType as well.

You can also make your own stylistic sets.

~Barb

cy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can enter specific glyphs through the Glyphs panel. This is most easily done using the Alternates for Selection option in the Show drop down menu.
Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 5.11.37 PM.png

The alternates also appear under a character when one is selected.Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 5.12.54 PM.png

You can also select a style from the Opentype submenu in the Character panel or hte Opentype panel in the Character Style or Paragraph Style dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Steph5FB7:

You can also control the display with the OpenType features: specifically Contextual Alternates and the Stylistic Sets. I am showing them via the OpenType button at the bottom of the text frame (the blue highlights the changed characters) but you can control this via the Paragraph style > OpenType as well.

You can also make your own stylistic sets.

~Barb

cy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines