• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set page background color in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to design a book, with some pages white, some gray, and some black backgrounds.  In photoshop it is easy to set a background color, but I can't see how to do this in InDesign CS4.  It should be easy, but I can't find the answer anywhere!

Thanks for your help.

Paul

***** Title renamed by Moderator "VS" *****

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Unless you intend to actually print the background color, rather than printing those pages on colored stock, you should put them on a sepatate layer behind everything else and either set the layer to non-printing or turn off the visibility before output.

Also, if the majority of the publication will be output on colored stock, you can edit the [Paper] swatch to display something close so you won't need to have a special background for those pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul 999 wrote:

I would like to design a book, with some pages white, some gray, and some black backgrounds.  In photoshop it is easy to set a background color, but I can't see how to do this in InDesign CS4.  It should be easy, but I can't find the answer anywhere!

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Just draw a box the size of the page, add a bleed area for trim if required, colour the box. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just don't understand how a command like that wouldn't exist in InDesign. It's so basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is drawing a rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is true, but do you think it's odd that InDesign doesn't have a specific command for setting the background color of a page? Why or why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a rectangle. Fill it with the desired color.

For use over and over again, put that rectangle on a master page.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you intend to actually print the background color, rather than printing those pages on colored stock, you should put them on a sepatate layer behind everything else and either set the layer to non-printing or turn off the visibility before output.

Also, if the majority of the publication will be output on colored stock, you can edit the [Paper] swatch to display something close so you won't need to have a special background for those pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.

I would like to print some pages with a gray background and some with a

black background on white stock. I'll be using online bookmaking services,

so probably will conver to PDF before sending. But there is only white

stock for the entire book.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, this isn't much of a problem. Use the colored rectangle as described. But keep a couple of things in mind that reverse type needs to be larger than black on white to be easily read, and hairlines can disappear.

I'd check with the printer, too, before plunging ahead, to make sure they can deal with a solid black background, and ask for a sample. If this is K-only black, rather than rich black, the results could be spotty.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check on bleeds too. POD printers like Lightning Source sometimes do bleeds only on certain size trims, sometimes not at all.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also might be a good idea to lock position of that box (Object>Lock Position) except if you put it into master page, then it´s automatically kind of locked in layout pages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to print some pages with a gray background and some with a black background on white stock.  I'll be using online bookmaking services, so probably will conver to PDF before sending.  But there is only white stock for the entire book.

Thanks.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way, but its global for the entire document. You can change the color swatch named "paper".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lancewille - I don't think that will work in this case as they want to print the colour and anything selected as "paper" does not print. Your tip is a great one for quickly visualizing how a document will look though  - thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is this: When I originally created my [400 page] document, whoever created it created a master to change all of the defaulted WHITE pages to have a BLACK background (my doc is now entirely black).

I now wish to change only some of those black BGs to WHITE. Trouble is, when I draw the box around it and choose a color from Swatch, I don't see WHITE as a color option.

Is this something I need to alter in the Master? (and if so, how?)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the original person did it on each individual pages, yes, it's on the master.

This post is several years old. If this doesn't help, please start a new thread and in the future please refrain from opening old threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to InDesign. I have applied styles to Chapter numbers, names and section/subsections. These are highlighted in a different color. I wish to change the color of everything to match the background color (either pure white or some preset color in master page). Could someone help me  how to do it in few clicks without going through the entire document. My screenshot is below:

Rajan30951448nmbp_0-1689092191649.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really a differnt question from creati9ng page backgrounds, and should probably have a new thread.

Your screen capture looks like the highlight for a missing font, but it's a little hard to tell if that's it or if you've applied soome sort of highlight to the text -- your post isn't clear about if that is part of the style applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open swatch panel 
-> double click on {paper}

-> edit your background colour

You're done !

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 21.22.01.png

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 21.22.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Incorrect! And since this post is 15 years old, I'm locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines