• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off Facing pages in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am New to Indesign. I am going to publish a catalog on issuu and want to,as I am a inexperienced designer,to use a template. However, How do I turn of facing pages as there are no Properties panel in the Norwegian Version?

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be in the Document Setup dialog. See Opprette nye dokumenter i Adobe InDesign CC 2015 og eldre versjoner -- it says "for older versions, but the dialog is the same in the latest version. The Help for that version, however, seems to overly concentrate on creating a new document from scratch, and is not translated into Norwegian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is ok for new documents from scratch. However if you want to take a template and turn off facing pages it does not seem to be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Document Setup options from File menu and this way you can turn of facing pages, then go to Pages panel and remow left or roght Master page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you are trying to turn off facing pages in InDesign. As mentioned above, you can do that by going to File > Document Setup and uncheck Facing Pages option in Document Setup dialog box.

For more information on Pages and Spreads in InDesign you can refer to this help article: Pages and spreads in InDesign

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Thank you for reply. It is not a problem with a clean new document. However it does not look like it is possible with templates. I am going to publish on ISSUU and it appear that they only want single pages in the upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a hard time believing that it is impossible to change Facing Pages "because it is based on a template". The latter has nothing to do with it -- you should always be able to toggle Facing Pages in the Document Setup dialog.

However … whether or not Facing Pages is selected, the PDF that you create should not be in 'facing pages' format -- as spreads (by default).

Which leads me to think you are not looking at the correct place to change this, or not explaining the problem at your end enough.

You are probably assuming this "Facing Pages" thing also influences the PDF export. It does not. I bet your problem is that you have "Spreads" ticked in the Export Adobe PDF dialog, instead of "Pages":

(Image taken from https://help.issuu.com/hc/en-us/articles/204815468-Exporting-from-InDesign-to-Issuu-Ready-PDFs, which, funny enough, ends with referring to Pages and spreads in InDesign (Norwegian version: Sider og oppslag i InDesign). But, again, for clarity: you can design in spreads or not, but if you export the PDF as separate pages -- not spreads -- then there should be no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that to my template and it totally messed up the page design. Is there a way to do this so it won't mess up the design?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP's question regarding publishing/uploading (to ISSUU) was answered above. Even when you're InDesigning 'spreads', you can always export the document as single page PDFs. 

However, when you're working on spreads in Indesign, there is no way switching up to single pages won't mess up your progress here and there. If you want to set up single pages as your default, just create a new document and opt out of 'Facing Pages' from the start. Your next new file will keep the same setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you switch from facing to non-facing pages in an existing file all pages will be based on the right-hand Parent Page of any two-page parent spread. If you need both left and right versions, you can create a new single page Parent and copy the content from the no longer used left Parent Page into the new page, then assign it to your even-numbered pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the catalog going to be printed and bound? Multi-page documents that will be printed usually need to be setup as facing pages so that the pages can be correctly imposed at the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! this was very helpful!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines