• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use GREP to exclude certain words, sentences, characters and numbers?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I've only recently started using InDesign for a company I'm working for and they use it to produce a wrestling almanac. One thing they do is highlight all the wrestler's names on a card in bold so a card may look something like this:

MONDAY NIGHT RAW
22-01-01, Lafayette, Louisiana WWF
Test defeated William Regal to win the WWF European Title in 1:29; The Acolytes (Faarooq and Bradshaw) defeated The Hardy Boyz (Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy) in 5:03;

Currently I'm going through and using a character style to bold all the names and tag team names but there are quite a few to get through so it will take some time to do all of that and it leaves the chance for human error to miss some. Is there any way I could use GREP to only apply the character style to the names and not the "and", "defeated", "in" aswell as any of the title wins (which will all be slightly different) and the times and special characters such as ":" and ";"? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Simplistically, 3 Para Styles + 3 Char Styles associated to 3 Grep Styles:

Capture d’écran 2024-06-05 à 14.13.36.png

Capture d’écran 2024-06-05 à 14.14.37.png

Capture d’écran 2024-06-05 à 14.15.04.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simplistically, 3 Para Styles + 3 Char Styles associated to 3 Grep Styles:

Capture d’écran 2024-06-05 à 14.13.36.png

Capture d’écran 2024-06-05 à 14.14.37.png

Capture d’écran 2024-06-05 à 14.15.04.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry I am really new to this so I've got a paragraph style already for the text.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 151305.png

And I'm manually applying a character style to change the non bold text to bold.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 151426.png

How would I go about changing the paragraph and character styles over to the format you said?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact me in private. I will need your InDesign file to fix it.

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Looks amazing. I'm playing around with it now and I seem to be getting the hang of adding new lines to the GREP styles so thank you so much again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick one. How did you apply the different paragraph styles to the individual lines and sub-headings without manually going through and changing them all individually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added Grep Styles in the para styles options. See my screenshots in my first post.

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines