• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use illustrator icons in Adobe InDesign document?

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I newly designed icons using Adobe Illustrator and now would like to use those icons for a document in InDesign. May I ask please how to integrate them? It is not possible to scale the icons when I paste the icons in Adobe InDesign.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Place them in your InDesign document. Shortcut is Cmd D (Mac) or Ctrl D (Windows). Even it is possible to copy from Illustrator and paste in InDesign, it is not recommended, but anyway, you should be able to scale the objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Add them to your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place them in your InDesign document. Shortcut is Cmd D (Mac) or Ctrl D (Windows). Even it is possible to copy from Illustrator and paste in InDesign, it is not recommended, but anyway, you should be able to scale the objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I create my log - Done. How do I add to library? How do I add the logo to the InDesign? Just hit  CMD D when on the document page? Sorry for not understanding. Could you possibly link a tutorial video? Not sure why when I save it has to do "ai" at the end and then in the InDesign I cannot use the "ai" saved doc....all very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I add the logo to the InDesign? Just hit  CMD D when on the document page? 

Yes.

Not sure why when I save it has to do "ai" at the end and then in the InDesign I cannot use the "ai" saved doc

To be able to import the logo in your InDesign file, the logo filemust be saved (in Illustrator) either as an Illustrator file (.ai) or a PDf file (.pdf). The InDesign file cannot be saved as .ai, only as .indd or exported as .pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you was able to use the Illustrator created logo. How do I open an InDesign in Photoshop? Or better yet mail to someone so that they could read/open the InDD file. Why are Adobe files not compatible with other Adobe programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't open INDD files in Photoshop. 

If you need an UNEDITABLE version - review copy - save as PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are they not compatible? How do people open the documents in PDF if the program does not let me save as PDF? How do I save as PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My real problem is, I created the document in InDesign. Looks great and want to send to a colleague to read. He does not have the InDesign nor do the other prospective people I want to send the flier. How do I save in a format other than ai or indd so they can open and read? When I try to save as PDF it does not allow me to save as PDF. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to save as PDF it does not allow me to save as PDF. 

You can't save an indd file as PDF, you have to export it as PDF (Cmd E)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I open an InDesign in Photoshop?

Why would you want to do this?

Why are Adobe files not compatible with other Adobe programs?

Because they are made to perform completely different tasks. It is exactly the same thing than having a jigsaw, a circular saw and a drill…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but why are they not comåpatible programs? Both saws fit in my workshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Both saws fit in my workshop." Yes, but you would struggle to use one of your saws - even your best saw - to put a nail in a wall, and using a screwdriver as a chisel is rarely satisfactory. If you see these apps as basically the same, you just need to spend more time with them both... Adobe make them as separate apps to do separate jobs - but like a saw, a chisel, and a screwdriver, you switch constantly between them as part of your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, appreciated. Have a good one 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add them to your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines