Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyphens styles question

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a yes / no question directed to an Adobe Indesign programmer:

Will you EVER add a document wide ONE STEP option IN PREFERENCES to turn Hyphens off in a master document.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

ook-pik schrieb:

. Ok, that's all the time I have - I will have to assume :

NO, Indesign does not have a one step option to kill hyphens document wide.

It depends how intelligent someone designed the styles. If all styles don't have a common base, you are right, but if not, it is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

It is easily doable in Script..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Who is this you you are addressing? This is a suer to user forum.

2. What is a master document?

3. If by you you mean Adobe, my guess is no.

If you want hyphenation off turn it off with no document open (in fact I believe the default is off). This will turn hyphenation off for all new documents. For already existing documents you should be using Paragraph Styles so you can turn hyphenation off at the style level. You can also use Find/Change to search for hyphenation on and replace it with hyphenation off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try this again . . .  YES / NO answer :

Is there a ONE STEP option IN PREFERENCES to turn Hyphens off in a master document.

here's some background:

I have a 200+ master doc - many many  paragraph styles . . . many many character styles. The doc is updated and added to by many users. Some of the text isn't even a "style" . .It's just a box of text . .thousands of boxes of text

Sooooooo now I have to select all the text boxes . .(this takes along time . . .sometimes I miss one ) and then I open Paragraph - and turn off the hyphens . .BUT THEN, a co-worker dumps a new project sheet in . . and adds her paragraph styles . .which I delete . 

Then I close the doc . .open it 2 days later ( not sure who used it)  . .My boss comes over, we look at the doc and WHAM_O . . . there's a bloody hyphen. ( by now you are correct in assuming that NO HYPHENS in our style guides )

SO now we're all mad and have to go thru the file AGAIN and look for hyphens . . ( can't do a find replace )

SOoooooo back to the question:

Is there a ONE STEP option IN PREFERENCES to turn Hyphens off in a master document ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you change the settings when no document is open, every new document is created with those settings.

But existing document you have to change once. How much works it needs to change it depends how efficient the document was created. If you have a root paragraph style and any other styles are somehow created on the base of this you need only to change that style.

Another method would be to develop a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely sure what you want but with no document open untick hyphenate in the control panel. This will turn off hyphens in all documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Blogs wrote:

Not entirely sure what you want but with no document open untick hyphenate in the control panel. This will turn off hyphens in all documents.

Correction: In all new documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. All new documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx guys -  the answer is no.

. . now I need to know how to delete this thread so I don't get anymore e-mails while I'm trying to hit a deadline - HA !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh sorry Scott - didn't mean to address that to you - and yes, I'm not familiar with this 'blog-thing" I'm just wanting to know if there's an ONE STEP "on/off switch" that will KILLS HYPHENS DOCUMENT WIDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ook-pik schrieb:

It depends how intelligent someone designed the styles. If all styles don't have a common base, you are right, but if not, it is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is easily doable in Script..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ook-pik wrote:

This is a yes / no question directed to an Adobe Indesign programmer:

Will you EVER add a document wide ONE STEP option IN PREFERENCES to turn Hyphens off in a master document.

Why would this ever need to go in Preferences? It's a paragraph level setting.

It's like asking "will you ever have a single font size setting in Preferences". You know, for those who want to use only a single font size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a script that does what I need.

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm baffled by your last post, @pretty disappointed.

4.5 years after you first posted here and received several valid solutions from colleagues, you resurrect the post, only to insult @Jongware, one of the most treasured supporters here in the forum...And who died last year. Here's his forum tribute page: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/theunis-de-jong-1966-2020/td-p/11653669

Since Theunis de Jong was one of the industry's most prolific scripters for InDesign, I wouldn't be surprised if the script you found was his work. Wouldn't that be fitting!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines