• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't open indesign files when internet goes down

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I live where internet goes down often, this is a very big problem...what should I do so I can work offline. My files and indesign are on my computer not on the cloud.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, and have experienced using offline workstations, Creative Cloud applications should work as always as long as all the resources are accessible locally. You will obviously not be able to access remote or cloud files, but if the INDD files and their linked elements are all local, you should never notice any problems.

As for the licensing, I think the apps need only an occasional authorization ping—once a month? Maybe more often these days? But should keep working as activated for some time after going offline.

If you have unreliable internet, don't use remote resources or file storage, and don't rely on things like Adobe Stock or Fonts to be available. I keep nothing in remote storage and don't use most cloud features in part for that reason, although I do (thank goodness) have reliable connectivity. Just old fashioned, I guess.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is installed in your Applications folder. You don’t need an internet connection to work—there only needs to be a monthly connection to make the subscription payment. You can save files in your local user>Creative Coud Files folder and those files will automatically sync copies to the cloud—you do need an internet connection for the syncing to happen, but you would still work on the local copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that should be the case, and always was, but 3 weeks again we lost power yesterday, and when ever I tried to open a file, it gave me a message that there was a conflict the file was open already (it was not...and it could be any indesign file, same message) it is a bug somewhere.

Indesign is in the applicatons folder as it should be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with internet access. The outage likely left an ID lock file on the disk (almost always in the same folder as the actual document file). While a clean startup sometimes deletes these files, it's possible for them to be left and block a new opening of the document. Any time this happens, look for a file with the format ~[DOC FILENAME].idlk and delete it. You should be able to open the doc file normally, although it may have corruption from the abrupt shutdown.

(In that case, try saving the file as IDML through save or export, and reopening. That often fixes structural corruption although it can't replace lost or damaged content.)

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will look for that, but the computer was off when the power went off. The first time this happened, yes I did think it had to do with a currupted file. But as soon as the internet came back on, Indesign went back to being able to open any file. Then again today, I had no internet (it went off last night), and the same problem again...so yes it does have something to do with no internet...but I iwll lookout for the .idlk file

just by the way I have been using indesign since it second version....I know that ages me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I used CS2 as well... oh, my aching back. 🙂

I am tempted to say this is a case of coincidence, that the file access was due to locking files at the same time you were without internet. Power outages can cause multiple problems that can then masquerade as others.

With InDesign closed, look for any leftover lock files (.idlk) and delete any you find. Then cut the workstation's network access, or shut off your modem, and see if you have any access issues. Or, if everything's working fine, do these steps if the problem reoccurs. There may well be some reason you can't open local files if the internet connection is down, but I sure can't think of what it might be, at least with respect to how ID should work.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, yes I was just think I should do this...I will le tyou know at a futre date what happened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the file located? Is it on a local server that gets dropped when you lose WIFI? Or, maybe in a folder that sync’s to the cloud like your Creative Cloud Files folder or Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the files are on my hard drive...and I tried this with many file, not just one, about 5 or 6 files, that were in completely different folders, and created and different times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are sure the root folder containing the files isn’t a folder that sync’s to a cloud service like Dropbox. Google Drive, Creative Files Folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not using a VPN into your work computer by any chance, are you?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh yes I am, so that could be...good catch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ID and your work files are not on the same system. That really, truly does change absolutely everything. Whether the files are in the cloud or a work server or your local drives while ID is in another location is pretty much the same situation no matter what the 'polarity' of the relationship. Losing power or losing the connection will cause file access and sync issues.

Like most apps that evolved before the notion of the cloud, ID is not perfect about managing remote content and has only basic features to cope with sudden disconnection, no matter what the technical cause.

The solution, once you have power and internet back, is to make sure those lock files are deleted, then pick up your work and expect to have some document flaws to fix, if only loss of your last few minutes' work.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not understanding, yes my working files and indesign on both on the same hardrive. That is why I should be able to acces both without being online, Except for one or two project, whcihc I am not working on right now - I only working directly from my harddrive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disconnect from the internet can you start InDesign, create a new document, save it to your desktop, close, and reopen it?

If you are not working out of a root folder that is set to sync to a cloud service, have you tried the regular troubleshooting—trash your ID preferences and caches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answers are conflicting: are you accessing your system, ID and files, through a VPN or is the entire set on the desk in front of you and fully accessible without any network connection?

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I get it, yes my  desk in front of me is fully accessible without any network connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, IF InDesign AND the files are local to your computer, then you should not have an issue when the network is down. As a test, disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off the Wi-Fi connection. 

IF you still have problems, then connect to the network again but NOT the VPN.

IF you still have problems, connect to the VPN.

Find out at what point things start working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks will do...too busy right now to test, but I will as soon as I can

thanks again, at least I know know what to look for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A thought, based on some past experience but not sure if it's relevant — does Adobe have licensing models that use a central authorization/seat manager for CC apps? Does the OP have to have a connection to the company to pull a seat authorization?

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my thought too. I suspect things will start working once the VPN is connected but didn't want to make any assumptions. But I don't think it is Adobe's doing--I suspect the OP's IT dept. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the OP have to have a connection to the company

If it was a problem with the subscription then I don’t think InDesign would launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines