Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a parent page with a text frame that is linked to 150+ child pages.

On each child page, I've used CMD+SHIFT to override the content and make it editable. However, I now want to move the text frame to a different location. When I move the text frame on the parent page, nothing updates in the child pages (I guess because I've edited it on the child pages). If I try to update the child pages manually, all my edited content disappears, and it just becomes an empty frame.

Is the only way to go back and update all the child pages and re-enter the editable text? It seems like there should be a way to change the layout/size/font of the text frame in the parent page but still keep the actual edited text in the child pages? Or am I wrong? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Hi @Ruth25459787jdbj , when you override a parent page item, it will respond to a change in the x,y position from the parent page as long as you don’t move the overridden item. Make sure on the override you don’t nudge the position, or change the item’s dimensions. Here I have overridden the parent page items, changed their fill colors, and also the position of the item on page 4. If I move the rectangle from the parent page, all of the page items respond except for the moved item on page 4:

Screen Shot 23.pngScreen Shot 24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Ruth25459787jdbj ,

yes, you are wrong.

Content on the parent page is ment to be all the same on all child pages.

Overriding it on the child page is something that is only done in rare cases.

Overriding it on all child pages states clearly that you are not familiar with the concept of parent/child pages.

For dynamically changed text on child pages (headers, footers etc.) there are special variables to be put on the parent page.

For a better answer you must tell why and what content you like to change on the child pages.

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ruth25459787jdbj , when you override a parent page item, it will respond to a change in the x,y position from the parent page as long as you don’t move the overridden item. Make sure on the override you don’t nudge the position, or change the item’s dimensions. Here I have overridden the parent page items, changed their fill colors, and also the position of the item on page 4. If I move the rectangle from the parent page, all of the page items respond except for the moved item on page 4:

Screen Shot 23.pngScreen Shot 24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. I see what I did wrong now. That's very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got an answer what not to do 😉 

If you want to be able to keep tabs on the overriden objects - you need to set a unique Label for the item you create on the Master Page - before you start overriding - then it will be extremely easy to modify it using scripting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Robert. I'm not sure if I totally understand how to do that, but it sounds helpful. I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a Script Label panel - should be together with Scripts Panel. 

The label on its own is meaningless - but could be extremely helpful when scripting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines