• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I’m trying to check Index markers in a translated document that’s 333 pages long.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, 

I’m trying to check a translated document (RU-RU), and ensure that the translated Index markers match the translated text that they’re embedded within.

However InDesign doesn’t seem to support selecting the marker within the text flow, and having the Index panel display that marker (like it does when selecting a cross-reference). It also doesn’t seem to support finding by page number in the Index panel, to help narrow down the list of markers. 

So I’m at a loss on how to proceed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

D.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Final Update: It turns out that there’s an error with InDesign and the Index Panel.

When you open a single chapter, and select an Index Marker within the text, the Index Panel will display that marker. This happens whether or not “Book” is checked in the Index Panel.

However when you open all chapters in a book, and have “Book” checked, the Index Panel will not display the selected marker. You have to uncheck that option, and reselect the marker, to have the Index Panel display the selected mark

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID is not a very good tool, overall, for managing index and end note entries. It has the features, and will do just as competent a job of inserting and managing them as any equivalent tool, but it lacks the more sophisticated options that, say, FrameMaker takes for granted.

That it is difficult to search for, review and validate an index is not surprising, unfortunately. Such work is best done in a source document tool like Word, but I am not sure there's any good way to get there and back into ID. If the doc came to you in another format (such as Word or another word/content-focused app), you might try doing the cross checking there.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh, that's no fun at all. I've been in your shoes before.

It is, however, totally possible to select an index marker in the text flow, but they're zero width characters. So, to see them you will have to have Hidden Characters turned on (Type -> Show Hidden Characters) and you'll have to do the selecting with the keyboard by getting right up next to the index marker with the arrow keys, then shift-selecting it.

I am not sure if I understand your second I-can't-do-this-thing statement, though. How is it that you can't find by page number in the Index panel? You set the radio button to References, you select the entry you want to find, then you click the "Go to selected marker" button at the bottom of the Index panel. Is that not what you're asking for?

Lastly: it has been quite some time since I needed to QA an index in InDesign. Like James, I try to keep that work outside of InDesign when I can. However, if that's not an option, you may want to look at third-party indexing tools, to see if any of them have functionality that might make your QA project less time-consuming. IndexMatic may be worth a look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joel. 

I know how to view and select Index markers in the text, I just wish when you did the Index panel would display the selected markers like the Cross-Reference panel does when you select a cross-reference. As far as I can tell there's no way to view what marker you have selected, and that's the issue as I need to see what the marker text is to ensure that it matches the text on the page. 

The second issue is this: Say I got to page 2 and there are 3 Index markers visible. I can't then display the Index panel and search/display by page number to have it display the 3 markers on page 2.

This RU files has a 7 page Index so there are far too many to click each one open to display the page number. 

All my best,

D.Mitchell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pickory.

Please note that the utility suggested is doesn't appear to be free any longer. The page as a "here" bit of text but there's no link. Instead their Shop link seems to have: IndexUtilities is £UK 75.00 Buy me (please email for details).

So I've reached out to them...

All my best,

D.Mitchell 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing an Update since I can't figure out how to edit my previous reply.

Turns out it is free! I reach out to them and they kindly sent me IndexNavigator via e-mail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a chance to try this out and it works BEAUTIFULLY!

Simply open an INDD file, lauch the installed script, and in the dialog box shown activate “Jump to page on single click” and the utility takes you to the displayed (clicked on in UI) Index marker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice.

Maybe such features should be left to scripts, where they won't clutter up the app/UI for every user and can be tinkered with, but... really, if ID is to be positioned as a long-doc app, better management of indexes and end notes like this should perhaps be integrated.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Final Update: It turns out that there’s an error with InDesign and the Index Panel.

When you open a single chapter, and select an Index Marker within the text, the Index Panel will display that marker. This happens whether or not “Book” is checked in the Index Panel.

However when you open all chapters in a book, and have “Book” checked, the Index Panel will not display the selected marker. You have to uncheck that option, and reselect the marker, to have the Index Panel display the selected marker. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines