• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm trying to subtract a line from a rectangle, but when I do, the line just disappears

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title kind of says it all. I made a design for something I'm making. When I try to subtract a line from a rectangle, the line just disappears, and the rectangle is left without any difference. 

Do I have to remake my entire design with rectangles? Because that's gonna take a while. Is there a way I can just mass convert them? Or am I just doing something wrong with Pathfinder?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

In the end, I just made a hexagon, and used the edge to make the effect. That allowed me to subtract it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some screen shots might help to explain the problem.

Using Pathfinder to subtract implies you want what is subtracted to be removed. If that's not the case, you might want to use the scissor tool instead to cut the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to subtract the white from the red, but the white is made out of lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to produce something similar by drawing a closed shape like your lines using the pen tool.

I made two stacked copies of that in position over the rectangles (I needed two in order to subtract from both rectangles; select the topmost drawn shape and one rectangle, then run subtract; repeat with other drawn shape and second rectangle), but honestly I think it might be just as fast to simply add some points to the edge of the rectangle using the Pen tool and use the Direct Select tool to reposition them where you want them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many lines? Can you make one line?

Here's my test - and it worked fine - white stroke in front.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 09.08.50.pngScreenshot 2021-09-02 at 09.08.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you lost the little triangle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the end, I just made a hexagon, and used the edge to make the effect. That allowed me to subtract it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines