• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need a script: select all, delete, paste in place

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I need a script that is basically select all, delete, paste in place - that is what the action would be anyway if I was using photoshop. Anyone know of one? Can I set up a script to run when I hit F1 for example? 

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @tarah85332216,

What is it exactly you're wanting to do, I see you said "select all, delete, paste in place" but you're not telling us much about what your process is...

Select all on a page?

delete just the selected content?

paste in place on a different page?...different document

And yes you can setup keyboard shortcuts in Indesign to trigger/activate scripts

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Ok - I will try & explain best I can. I have a document anywhere from 300-600 pages - each page has is its own unique name & image / text explanation of said image. But the image/layout may repeat on different pages (sometimes it repeats 20x, 5x, or not at all - just depends). So currently I do a data merge & have all my names, images & info on 500 different pages. I lock the layer that has the name on it. And say page one is image A for Jane smith, but 10 other people also have the same image A /info - they are not consecutive in the document. So I make the layout for Image A look good - click on the image & in the links menu see what other pages that image is on (say it's pages 15,67,430 & 510). Select all art/txt boxes that isn't locked, copy, click to the next page the link shows up, select all, delete paste in place. So I'm bouncing around the document (there isn't a way I can group them by layout because they all ship to different places & the manufacturer wants it this way & I have yet to find an automatic way to sort pages in indesign after data merge). So basically I try to use all the time saving tricks I can to get the entire document done faster. The layers/locking/pasting thing works great - but I want to take it a step further and just be able to click on the link page number, F1, next page, F1, next page, F1. When it comes to doing 500+ of these I want to streamline as much as possible. Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance. This might be a pipe dream I guess - I'm kind of obsessed with making it as efficient as possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I set up a script to run when I hit F1 for example?  > yes, you can associate scripts to keyboard shortcuts in the appropriate menu.

I need a script that is basically select all, delete, paste in place > Why on earth would you want such a script? Basically a manual action wouldn't require much more work than running a script. Feel free to bring more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried explaining it under the above comment - not sure if it makes sense or not (oh and yes I use keyboard shortcuts) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines