• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ID-exported reflowable epub rife with fragment identifier errors upon validation

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey fellow Indesigners,
I ran my ID-exported (reflowable) epub through an online validator and came up with a couple of hundred "fragment identifier" errors, most of which most seem to be related to the endnotes in the book. When I validated the chapter docs individually, no errors came up (I’m using Indesign’s book palette function). It’s only when I ran the entire book through the validator that all these errors showed up.
Three questions:
1. Why do individual chapters validate with no issue but the whole book doesn’t?
2. Is there a quick way (find and search) in Calibre or Sigil to fix these errors?
3. Is there an export setting I can use in Indesign to prevent this from happening when exporting an entire book to reflowable epub?
TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Print , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered this same problem. I don't know about Calibre or Sigil, but with some kind of HTML editor you can rectify this. I used Atom, though I also had to download this app for zipping/unzipping epub files (I'm on a Mac)

In the book's xhtml files, you'll see InDesign creates unique IDs for the endnote hyperlinks in the text, like this:

<span id="endnote-001-backlink"><a href="#endnote-001">1</a></span></span>

This then corresponds to, obviously, the endnote itself:

<span id="endnote-001"><a href="#endnote-001-backlink">1 - Lorem ipsum etc</a>

So when you export one individual chapter, this all works perfectly, but when InDesign joins these chapters together into a Book, the IDs start clashing. The first endnote link in Chapter 2 gets given the id "endnote-001-backlink-1" and href="#endnote-001-1", as it should to keep the IDs unique. BUT the actual endnote itself has the id "endnote-001" again - it doesn't correspond to the links in the text. So the endnote link, and the backlink, can't find each other.

In a text editor, you can edit the endnotes so that those IDs actually match the links in the text. Depending how many notes you have, this could be a total headache, but it did the job. This is definitely a bug with exporting .indb files that Adobe needs to sort out. Or if there's an option within InDesign to skirt this, I'm not aware of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EPUB validation is, by and large, a technical exercise in accomplishing nothing much. It's like blueprinting a car engine when you rebuild it: satisfying for the perfectionist and granting bragging rights, but it doesn't really make the car run any better. Validation is perhaps more useful when constructing EPUB files using the primitive tools and builders and editors wherein stoopid mistakes can be made; not so much with files exported or converted by high-end tools or proven utilities.

The problem is that EPUB is still a horribly implemented standard and the plethora of readers varies widely in interpreting it. Having that perfectly validated file doesn't mean any greater number of readers (software and human) will be happier with it.

If you're stopping with EPUB (e.g. not continuing on to Kindle or another final format), the single best "validator" is Thorium reader.. If it presents properly on Thorium, you're done. You don't need to keep fixing technical violations that probably won't make the book look better on less-rigorous readers.

The developers of Thorium are doing what all the participants in EPUB publishing should have done long ago: uphold the defined standard, not flood the field with loosely-implemented, "easy to use" tools and methods.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines