Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.idlk files getting deleted

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

For a client of us I'm reaching out on the forum.

The issue is as follows: they are having a problem when they are opening an InDesign file from a (Windows) network share, an .idlk file gets made.

A few seconds later, this .idlk file gets deleted automatically, although the InDesign file is still open on the users screen. What this then does, is InDesign asking to save the file because it hasn't been saved earlier. This is obviously not correct, since they opened the file from the network share.

I've tried to exclude the .idlk extension from the anti malware scanner, which is still active. Unfortunately this is not the solution, since the .idlk file still gets deleted after the exclusion.

I unfortunately did not get any response from Adobe Support when reaching out, so this is my other chance. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Thanks for confirming, @MusicMaikel. We'll need to troubleshoot this on a remote session, so could you please DM me the Adobe ID, contact number, and a suitable time to get in touch with your client? We'll need access to the machine on which this issue can be reproduced. You can DM me by clicking on my name.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MusicMaikel ,

Sorry for the delay in response. We'll need to test this on our end, so could you please share a few more details like:

1. The version of InDesign & OS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. After making modifications to the file, has the client observed any latency while saving the file on the shared location?
  4. If you have already reported this with us over a chat/call please share the case reference number.

We're here to help, just need more information.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rishabh,

I have to get back to you about the version, but maybe we can figure something out already.

1.  Coming back on this one.
  2. The problem is happening with all files, does not matter which one they open.
  3. They have not experienced any latency. It's just that they can't overwrite the same file (because the .idlk is missing).
  4. I don't have a case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rishabh,

My client got back to me with the versions:

• MacOS Monterey version 12.5.1
  • InDesign version 17.4 (CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MusicMaikel ,

I am so sorry for the delay. Please allow me some time while I collect more information on this. I'll update this discussion shortly.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rishabh,

Do you maybe have a solution already? My client is waiting for a respons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MusicMaikel,

While @Rishabh_Tiwari comes back some inputs I would say this does not look something related to InDesign. The idlk file seems to be getting deleted by some external process. To verify this can you test in an environment where no anti-malware/anti-virus or any such process has access to the drive that hosts the InDesign file

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Manan,

We have already tried this: we excluded the files from the anti-malware software, but this is not the solution. We also completely turned off the anti-malware software, but the issue is still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, let's wait for a word from Adobe then. I just thought this might have its root outside InDesign because this is something I don't recall being reported on the forum. Anyways, lets see what Rishabh comes up with.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. I suspect the Network security or Antivirus is deleting or putting the file under quarantine. Could you please check with your IT Team and whitelist them? In addition to this, for testing purposes, is it possible for you to turn off the sync for Network Share temporarily and see if the .idlk files are still getting deleted after opening the file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rishabh,

As stated in comments before, we have whitelisted .idlk files in the anti virus. Also we have completely turned off the software, but the files are still getting deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, @MusicMaikel. We'll need to troubleshoot this on a remote session, so could you please DM me the Adobe ID, contact number, and a suitable time to get in touch with your client? We'll need access to the machine on which this issue can be reproduced. You can DM me by clicking on my name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have send you a DM, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have shared a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, files beginning with a dot are switched to invisible. Can the client change this behaviour? Maybe these files are not deleted, only unvisible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Willi, I've tested this just now, but unfortunately also with hidden files turned visible, the file gets deleted. The PC was not using visible files, so the temporary files when opening a file were not visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From what I understand, the deletion only happens when you are working off of the network drive?

Does it occur when you work on a local drive? If the file does not get deleted locally, it would deem the issue is with the network drive. If that is the case, try reaching out to the anti-malware software developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines