Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iframe interactive PDF buttons and forms deleted

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,
I created buttons in InDesign that should function as filters within a page. I then displayed the PDF in a frame within a page. Now these buttons can no longer be clicked. What I have done wrong?

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably nothing you've done wrong except expectations. Web browsers have a very haphazard and limited implementation of interactive PDF. If the interactivity is important, and it must be in a browser, PDF is out of the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have such high standards because the subject of interactive PDFs is not a new topic. I thought the standards in this subject were more up-to-date.

If someone still has an idea, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Flash is obsolete some features in Interactive PDFs have changed – you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website. Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to understand that standards in interactive PDF have gone down and down, and continue to go down. And it is worth understanding why.

Adobe invented PDF, and gave the PDF standard to the world. The standard included full details of how to make and work with interactive PDF. Adobe made Acrobat Reader, everyone used it, things worked.  The success of PDF meant that more PDF readers were made. In particular, all the browser makers now use their own PDF reader. So, a few years ago if you viewed a PDF in Chrome, it used Acrobat Reader. But today it uses Google's PDF Reader. Most people now use PDF reading software made by Google, Microsoft, Firefox, Apple, and less and less people use Adobe software.

But unfortunately these other PDF readers never took interactive PDF seriously, even though it was just as much part of the PDF standard. This means that many people (me included) now consider that interactive PDF is doomed. Ironically, it is doomed by the success of PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines