Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator links not updating in InDesign

Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10/64 updated Indd/Illus latest updated

I am working on a label project using a manufacturers die/line and dimensions template in illustrator as the base layer. I am building art elements for the label in Illustrator, placing the illustrator file in InDesign and building the type elements in InDesign. I have done this for a long time with success and no issues.

On this particular project, when I turn visibility off on certain illustrator layers and update the InDesign, but the layers where I turned off visibility in Illustrator still show in InDesign, a problem neverbefore encounterfed,

I first rebuilt the illustrator file, placed in in InDesign and got no change. Not visible layers in Illustrator still display after updating in InDesign. So, I deleted InDesign preferences, tried again and still got the same results.

That exhausts the extent of my knowledge to fix the issue, Can anyone help?

Thanks to those who know more than me,

Joe

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place, check what you selected for Import Options > Layers.

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 3.18.03 PM.png

 The default is "Keep" which means even though you turned off the layer in Illustrator, it will still show in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, thanks for your quick response and help, but for the life of me, I cannot find the interface you show above. Can you please stick my nose it?

I've used InDesign since version two, but that one escapes me. I do the Control + D, go to File>place and looked in preferences, but I'm still missing it.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's at the bottom of the Place dialog box... Check the box for Show Import Options, and it brings up options for the placing of your .ai files, and you'll see the two tabs for General and Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon, I also have a problem placing a layered Illustrator file into InDesign and I followed all the steps you showed above. The imported file appears as one static layer. now when I try to right-click to edit with InDesign it says I am missing a plugin?????

It also happens with the illustrator files I have. This is so frustrating

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a link to a .jsx script that allows you to bring up the place option dialogue box on a placed graphic already in an indesign document. I find it super useful for everything from changing the page of a placed PDF to turning on/off transparency in Illustrator file.

http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/utilitaires/utilitaires-indesign/indesign-pdfoptions-editor/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've added or deleted Illustrator Layers or changed Layer names, all bets are off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of turning your Layers on or off in Illustrator, have you tried Object Layers Option under the Object menu in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines