Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Crops from Both Sides

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I teach InDesign, and a student of mine is having an interesting issue. On one computer, she is finding that when she crops an image, it crops from opposite sides at the same time. I thought perhaps she was holding ALT/OPTION, but she said that on another computer, there is no issue when cropping. I'm stumped - any ideas?

Thank you!

Chava

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Holding down the Alt/Option key while adjusting a shape or frame will shrink not only the side of the frame where you're dragging with your selection tool, but the opposite side of the frame too.

If possible, you may want to have your student try a different keyboard on the system giving her problems. If that fixes the problem, your student wants to clean out the troublesome keyboard ... or replace it. I know this may sound silly, but it happens more often than you'd think ...

Good luck,

R

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down the Alt/Option key while adjusting a shape or frame will shrink not only the side of the frame where you're dragging with your selection tool, but the opposite side of the frame too.

If possible, you may want to have your student try a different keyboard on the system giving her problems. If that fixes the problem, your student wants to clean out the troublesome keyboard ... or replace it. I know this may sound silly, but it happens more often than you'd think ...

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just following up: Did this information help your student get past her problem?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

I generally get notified of responses and respond; not sure what happened here except that I think I assumed I had not gotten a response since I didn't get an Email notification; so thank you for your long-ago response and follow-up! This is very interesting indeed. I will pass it along - I came back here because there's another student with the issue. In this case, if you don't hear back, consider that good news.

Chava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having this experience too! Can't find an answer. I've been using InDesign for many years for basic graphic layout (loads of photo Place and Crop action) and not sure why this is now an issue in the last few months. I've tried "clear frame fitting options" under the Object toolbar. Holding down the Alt/Option key while dragging the side of the frame does alter one thing - but does not solve the issue. When I try to crop one side of an image....holding Alt keeps the image still, while both sides of the frame close in. If I don't hold Alt, the side of the frame that I'm dragging moves in, but the image itself slides to the side (at a slightly slower rate), resulting in a crop of both sides. Most days I have this issue but not always, leaving me even more stumped. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines