Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Editing Feature in InDesign

Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

It'd be great to have a lite version of Image Editing like Hue/Saturation, Curves, Levels built-in with InDesign, working on a lot of images and it's a bit of a hassle to convert image to Grayscale and work on the contrast back and forth between PS & ID.

Unless anyone have an alternative to make it work seamlessly inside InDesign for editing images.

Cheers!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has come up before and you can file a feature request, but I doubt it will happen. There’s no way to save linked or embedded assets out of ID, and it would be difficult to draw the line between "lite" and expected image editing features.

There is the Option click with the Direct Selection tool method, which opens the linked image and when you save the link is automatically updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make the feature request but no way I'd support it. Use Photoshop and Illustrator to edit your graphics. That's what they're for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know you can "round-trip" between InDesign and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree that this would be a useful feature. Years ago QuarkXPress had a built in curves feature. Nobody used it because of several reasons: few people knew it was there; most QuarkXPress users were not interested or even experienced in photo editing, and hte feature was extremely limited since all it overed was levels/curves adjustments. It didn’t help that it had a poor interface. The feature already exists in the form of Photoshop. Less than half a feature is not worth adding to a program as feature packed as InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason I wouldn't be a supporter of this - in its current suggestion state - would be that InDesign image preview is pretty limited - you don't see the actual image, just a proxy for layout purposes, yes you can see an high quality version - but it's not the actual image - I believe.

Affinity have done it quite well with Personas. 

I'd support a similar feature in InDesign - where you can switch In-App to Illustrator/Photoshop features, make the edits and return to the design phase. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides deciding where to draw the line on what "Lite" image editing means, there would also be the question of whether the linked image file can be modified by InDesign. If you make a correction is InDesign going to save the image? When would the image save happen? Is there a separate save dialog for the linked image, or does it get saved when the ID document is saved? What if it is open in Photoshop—is the Save prevented, or does the image change in PS?

You might decide linked images can’t be saved by InDesign, and the correction acts like an adjustment layer in Photoshop. In that case InDesign’s Object Layer Options could let you do something similar. It would be possible to create and save libraries of adjustment layers that could be turned on or off. For example a Saturation group put over the image in Photoshop and manipulated inside of InDesign:

No adjustment:

Screen Shot 1.png

-90% Saturation:

Screen Shot 2.png

+40% Saturation

Screen Shot 3.png

The image and group in Photoshop. The HS group could be dragged on to any image:

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you might not need as many adjustments as in my example. If I wanted somewhere between -70 and -60 I could add back some saturation by turning on one of the + layers.

Both images at -70 Saturation

Screen Shot 5.png

The bottom image with +30 added back in:Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm delighted because there's a wealth of editing expertise here. Actually, I am studying the picture and video editing at Okara School, which is why I require a community that is related to my subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am learning a lot of things from this platform as compared to my okara's school that thing makes me very happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines