Exit

imported Path is invisible in indesign

New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i exported a path from photoshop with the action:

file > export > Paths to Illustrator > Paths-Selection: Work Path > OK

then i go into inDesign and place with command-d the *.ai file into my indesign file. the result is an empty object.

i already read about the action i went through and that the result is an ai-file with a path WITHOUT any fill or stroke. - so i guess it maybe worked, but my path is now invisible??

Can please somebody help me out to find my mistake or how to make the path visible again?

thanks in advance!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your imported ai file has no fill and no stroke, how could it be visible? Or I do not understand the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the path in Illustrator and apply whatever appearance you want. Save the Illustrator file. In InDesign, choose File > Place and it should appear with whatever appearance you created in Illustrator. (Alterntively, copy the path from Illustrator and Paste into InDesign.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need a working path in Illustrator? 

If you use File>Place it's only placing a proxy image and it links to the original file, you cannot select the content.

Instead, copy the Path from Illustrator and paste it into InDesign - then you can use the path shape as a frame (or whatever you need it for)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If what you're after is to use a path from a Photoshop file as an object of the same shape in InDesign, an option is to

1. Set the Photoshop path as a clipping path in Photoshop
  2. Place the Photoshop image in InDesign
  3. Select the path with the Direct Select tool
  4. Go to Object>Clipping Path>Convert Clipping Path to Frame
  5. Select the image in the new frame and delete (if necessary)

If you don't want to set the path as a clipping path in Photoshop, you will need to go to Object>Clipping Path and select the path before step 3. Not necessarily easier, but you don't have to use Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines