• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing PDF: File could not be opened...

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to import the contents of a number of PDF files into InDesign but I am being blocked with the following:

"The file could not be opened. You may not have permission or the file may be in use by another application."

I have removed all protection from the files.

The files reside in a Google Drive to which I have full rights (Editor).

If I move the files to my desktop they import. The problem is that I need to keep these 'source' files in my Google Drive and not on my Desktop where they can be deleted. As soon as I move them back to my Google Drive I loose the link in InDesign and cannot relink them - same permission issue.

Can anyone help?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I should have clarified a bit more. This issue does not happen to ALL PDF files I try and import. Only some and I have not been able to determine why this is so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a dumb suggestion but...

Are you sure the PDF is not open in Acrobat or the Google PDF viewer?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely sure. I even closed all browsers, cleared cache, closed InDesign and rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to Open or Place the PDFs? PDFs can be placed, not opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens during the Import Procedure when using either of the multi page import scrips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some network/storage environments that message could be triggered by different reasons. Some as absurd as the file name having non ASCII characters. If that's the case, just change the name.

Besides, those files might be password protected or damaged.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show options when importing and make the appropriate choices. These are sticky and if you attempt to place a file that the options don't apply to you could get that error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not too sure what you means when you say 'Show options'. When using the script 'PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx' there are not options - it onlu askes where to start pacing the pages. When using the script 'MultiPageImporter2.5-CS5.jsx' the following popup is displayed but I don;t see wnything that will address the issue:

Picture1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, the files are being placed via a script and are on Google Drive. Could this be a smart syncing problem? I don’t use Google Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah...sorry, missed the script. And yes, this could absolutely be a smart sync issue. That has to be turned off or InDesign could easily time out while the file is downloaded on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

what happens if you place the PDF files without the script?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And: what's your version of InDesign?
What operating system and machine?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines