• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing PDF into InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF of left-aligned text I want to import into InDesign as a graphic. When I import the image into my graphic box, the PDF comes in centered within the box and smaller than 100 percent. That's not what I want. I want it to come in left-aligned (like the PDF) and at 100 percent. This imports correctly for a co-worker so I think there's a setting in my InDesign that's causing the issues. Has anyone run into this before? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you show import options, particularly the crop setting. Sounds like you need to change that, probably to crop box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Object menu are Frame Fitting Options. If these were set while no object is selected, they become the default for new objects. You could try removing the PDF from the image frame, choosing Object>Fitting>Clear Frame Fitting Options and then importing the PDF again. Then, if it's still not what you want, experiment with the Fill Frame and Fit Frame choices in that same menu. And you can use the same width and height or percentage settings in the Control window that's usually at the top of the screen that allow you to set the geometry of a frame, but if you select the image within the frame either by double-clicking on the image or (if you have it active in View>Extras>Content Grabber) clicking the little donut in the middle of a selected image frame, you will change the content, rather than the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Peter said, you need to check Show Import Options when you place the PDF. From your description, you will likely want to import with Crop to Bounding Box, which will select only the area of the PDF with any art objects on it and ignore the rest of the white space.

This setting sticks, so it will apply for any future imports until you change it again, so it's probably usedful to leave Show Import Options checked, so you can select the most appropriate crop depending on what you're placing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is under the frame fitting options. If I select upper left from the square, the PDF imports perfectly. Thanks, all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I missed that you were placing into an existing frame.

The Import Options could still affects how the PDF is imported even that way, but yours imported fine so was probably already set at Bounding Box.

Glad it was sorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines