• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word text and preserving styles in InDesign

Enthusiast ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to import text into InDesign from Word while preserving italic and bold formatting while NOT importing the overall style as named in Word? I thought I saw an InDesign preference for importing, but can't find it now.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the bold and italic actually styled (with a character style) or applied bold and italic for each situation?

If styled, when importing, you can map and choose ID style, Word style, or ignore.

If applied bold and italic, here is the workaround I use: import word doc retaining these attributes, then search for "bold" text and replace with a "character style" that has the proper font attributes needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When placing your Word file, select "Show Import Option" first. 

image.png

Then do the find/change that @Jeffrey_Smith suggested.

IF the Word user used Character styles (unlikely or you probably wouldn't be stripping out all the formatting) you can map the Word character styles to your ID character styles and set the Word paragraph styles to No Paragraph Style.

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The Word files are coming from a variety of authors who are probably all doing different things. I'll try importing with no paragraph styles as well as continuing to search and replace the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I've been doing: finding and replacing. I just wondered if there was a way to avoid that step. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the multi-find/change in InDesign, but it would be easier to record a macro in Word to replace manual styling with character styles. Just open Word, run the macro, save, and place into ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save this import setting. For easier use, I name all styles upon ther functionality in InDesign and not based on their appearance in all projects with the very same name. So I need only select the import preset and it is done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what import setting you mean. I don't know how to set up a macro. Finding/replacing has worked well, but it sometimes does lose the italic or bold that were in the Word document. Or perhaps I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Basic MS Word macros are easy to make. Go to YouTube and search for the topic.

Since Office apps handle bold and italic differently than Adobe apps, you want to search for text that is BoldItalic first, then for Bold and Italic separately. 

15-20 minutes of research can save you hours of time later on--plus it will work for all your authors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a script I wrote for my workflow:

http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/text/protect_local_styling/protect_local_styling.html

Also, at the bottom are links to three similar scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines