InDesign 18.2.1 on MacBook Pro M1 Max insanely slow

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 
some examples:

• checking Auto-Fit on/off takes about 2 seconds
  • moving an image on the spread: on my 2014 MacBook, I could click the image and hold the mouse and then move it freely while previewing the image, and with smart guides on, position it precisely
    on the M1 PowerBook: the color ball appears and rotates very slowly, then trying to move the image, the image jumps in large steps, precise positioning is impossible – I need to position it with the arrow keys (the image is 14 MBs stored locally on the HD, so peanuts)
  • changing between Normal and Preview mode takes 5 seconds

MacBook Pro, 16" 2021

Apple M1 Max Chip

Memory 64GB

HD 2TB
GPU Performance turned on (GPU is listed as Apple M1 Max with 49GB)

This is a fresh install on the Mac I only acquired a few days ago. I didn't take over the prefs from my previous Mac or anything alike.
It is actually the first file ever created in InDesign on M1 Mac.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much in advance,
R

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On new files or old files opened up?

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

-----------

Try resetting your preferences:

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---------------

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

------------

Try turning off the GPU Performance in the InDesign settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Eugene,

it's a new file, actually the first file created on my new MacBook Pro with the M1 Max Chip. And this was an absouletly fresh install, without taking over any preferences from my older MacBook Pro. 

I had been reading the forums and so had already the the "Export as IDML" method before to no effect.
While opening the IDML, I got this message – see screenshot – several times. So I guess it's about an object inside the InDesign file, but I was unable to figure out which one.

However, the performance didn't inrease on applying this method.
Thanks, 
Ronen

Alert, when opening up the previously exported IDML file.Alert, when opening up the previously exported IDML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be a large degree of outlined text - or copy and pasted vectors (or just vectors) in the document.

I've never seen that warning come up before.

I'd start by making a copy of the file.

Delete 50% of the pages.

Save - and reopen - if the issue is there then try halving again.

If it isn't there - then try the other 50% of the pages.

Keep halving till you find the culprit.

Something strange going on - divide and conquer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - regardless of fresh install or not - or a new computer or not - or anything like that - things can still go wrong. 

Especially after any updates or any other applications installed - corrupton always can exist in a computer system.

If problems persist I'd try the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool I linked to earlier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Eugene,
will try this!

Ronen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Ronen Schmitz Even Zur ,

I am just following up on this issue. Did the suggestions shared above help? For information on the Adobe Cleaner tool, you can check this article. Please feel free to update the discussion if you still need assistance.

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines