• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 19.4 Crashing on MacOS Big Sur

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I update to InDesign 19.4, it keeps crashing and generally playing up. This has been going on ever since 19.4 was released.

I have to keep downgrading to 19.3 and can't use any of the new features because of this bug. This should entitle me to some compensation I would think?

I have attached my Mac's specs for reference.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know Big Sur is 'End of Life' - Apple stopped supporting it about 8 months ago - from what I've read online.

Your computer itself is nearly 10 years old - which is quite old in terms of computer and components, hardware/firmware/software all stop receiving updates from Apple, as they only treat back about 3 versions, and Big Sur is 4 versions back.

Can you update your OS to a more modern OS? This would provide better security and vulnerability protection by maintaining your OS and computer you stay relevant to new software coming to the market. 

=====================================

Tell us - what's happening with 19.4?
You've not given us any information to help you

=====================================

Here's things to try if 19.4 is not performing
Even if fresh install - there could be underlying issues in hidden folders that are not overwritten on install.

Resetting your preferences AND/OR a deep clean of the caches can resolve a lot of issues

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

-----------------------

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

----------------------

Ultimately, my gut feeling is your computer is End of Life - it's 10 years old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how 'old' my computer is but it is still apparently 'compatible' according to the CC app. Therefore it should work properly. I cannot update my OS on this computer and not all of us have thousands to spend on a new Mac.

Thanks for your feedback, however, it has been of little help to my situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how it was little help.

Did you try install 19.4 and then reset preferences?
Did you try the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool that I suggested?

I understand it's expensive to update a Mac. 
But it's going to happen for you - you can buy refurbished - or update the OS.

I don't understand why updating the OS is an issue for you?

Please try the suggestions before updating the OS. 
Please provide more information.

You have still not told us 'how' InDeisgn 19.4 does not work.

It's quite impossible to direct you without any more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roll it back to 19.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I update to InDesign 19.4, it keeps crashing and generally playing up.

I have to keep downgrading to 19.3 and can't use any of the new features because of this bug.

By @Zen Creative Agency

InDesign 19.4 has indeed multiple issues, which forces some people to revert to 19.3. Try to wait for 19.5—which should be out within a month or so—and see if it solves the problem. If not, then you can raise this issue with Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Zen Creative Agency,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing a crash issue in InDesign. Please submit the crash report as mentioned in this article: https://adobe.ly/45eHkTz;

We are seeing people experiencing a crash on launch issues on Windows machines. However, we would also need to investigate the issue on the Mac. 

Is the crash happening on launch, while working on the file, or during a specific action?

Could you please share the crash dumps with me over a private message so we can investigate the issue?

Please also share your Adobe ID, phone number, location, and best time to contact you in case we want to connect with you directly.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines