• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 19.4 Windows 11 Performance Issues: Extremely Slow Text Editing and Moving

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not sure what is going with adobe but their apps performance is going worse and worse. I have latest nvidia studio drivers, 2x rtx 2080ti, 16 core 5950x cpu, 128 GB ram, windows 11 and this is the result of all money I spent do have solid rig:

Working in indesign is so slow in 19.4, if I want to edit text, it takes ages. Or move. Whole life I am using high performance view that I never had issue with. 

Here is the video how slow it is. : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nwz0idwcw4od9cc54gi24/Z-znam-2024-08-02-182107.mp4?rlkey=y9xk887i1cof...

Tired again of the performance. Adobe CS6 was so good so I don't get it why when someting is working, adobe mess with it. 

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first. Update to 19.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those updates.... 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has just some new history panel, no bug fixes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pedro369032337muj

How big is your INDD file - in MBs? 

How many linked objects do you have in your file? 

Or they are embedded? 

Do you work locally or remotely - network, cloud, external drive? 

What kind of drives do you have? 

Which AntiVirus software do you use? 

How many fonts do you have installed / activated in your system? 

2x graphics cards do not accelerate work in the InDesign in any significant way. 

Number of cores doesn't matter - InDesign is still a single thread application. 

And why do you have to work on highest display settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense I think those questions are like for age beign on Pentium 2?  

How many linked objects do you have in your file? 

Or they are embedded? 

Linked files, very small 

Pedro369032337muj_1-1722620803118.png

Do you work locally or remotely - network, cloud, external drive? 

NVMe 7400/6500 MB/s SSD PCIe4 

What kind of drives do you have? 

SSD

Which AntiVirus software do you use? 

Really?

How many fonts do you have installed / activated in your system? 

Using blazing fast adobe service like Adobe Fonts

2x graphics cards do not accelerate work in the InDesign in any significant way. 

Still it operates like on software engine or something. 

Number of cores doesn't matter - InDesign is still a single thread application. 

Well that sucks. 

And why do you have to work on highest display settings? 

Because I can? If there is that feature, why should not I? 

I have simple 2 page leaflet nothing crazy. All adobe apps suppose to work like pushing the limits. Not spending all the time on forum, why their badly witten apps are so slow. 

Pedro369032337muj_0-1722620727820.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. It fill like the crazy world we live in and with all that political agendas, it seems to me that many adobe users are defending that having choppy slow broken apps is the new normal. Adobe is multibillion company so having questing what kind of Antivirus do I have in 2024. I bet I live in modern Europen country and working in 16 years in this field and it's getting worst and worts. If Adobe can't use all benefits from strong GPUs and all cores, well then something is wrong. Not on my side. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. It fill like the crazy world we live in and with all that political agendas, it seems to me that many adobe users are defending that having choppy slow broken apps is the new normal. Adobe is multibillion company so having questing what kind of Antivirus do I have in 2024. I bet I live in modern Europen country and working in 16 years in this field and it's getting worst and worts. If Adobe can't use all benefits from strong GPUs and all cores, well then something is wrong. Not on my side. 

By @Pedro369032337muj

Yes, you are right - InDesign should be able to utilise more cores. 

But this forum isn't flooded with posts from users experiencing extreme lags - so it's like there is something wrong with your setup.

Most of the time I work on a mid-range laptop with 4x cores with HT and only 16GB of RAM and swap disabled - as opposed to my desktop with 40x cores and 512GB of RAM - and I don't feel any lagging at all. 

The only time I feel InDesign lagging is when I get file from someone with links to network files that I don't have access to. 

One more question - do you have problem with ALL files - or only with some? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share complete package with a lagging file? For testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not mind traders - that's why all those questions. 

Why are you surprised with my question about AntiVirus software? 

I don't see the reason to use super high quality preview - when I'm not aligning elements to the pixel - it just uses more electricity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched your video, and you're definitely experiencing abnormal behavior. It's not typical at all.

In addition to all the other suggestions, did you try to run the standard troubleshooting steps:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact same issue since upgrading my PC. I'm on a Xeon Gold 6140 with 32GB of RAM. Also using an Radeon RX590, not that that matters on Windows, unfortunately.

Everything is incredibly slow on any InDesign file. The same files works flawlessly on my Macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact same issue since upgrading my PC. I'm on a Xeon Gold 6140 with 32GB of RAM. Also using an Radeon RX590, not that that matters on Windows, unfortunately.

Everything is incredibly slow on any InDesign file. The same files works flawlessly on my Macbook.

By @kmoodysoh

W10 or W11? Which AntiVirus software?

What is Task Manager showing?

Have you upgraded your pc AND reinstalled InDesign from scratch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11. Windows Defender.

Task Manager doesn't show anything abnormal. I haven't checked to see if it's only using one core like I've seen in other posts.

My OS is a fresh install on a fresh NVMe. Currently trying uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign because I've tried everything else.... but InDesign was the first program I installed after installing Windows and it's been this terrible since I first opened it after the initial install.

Never had an issue with it on Windows 10 before I upgraded my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kmoodysoh

So it's your FRESH install of InDesign?

Check, if InDesign is using 25%+ of one core - when idle.

If it is - then you need to leave him alone for about 2h - or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled, restarted, clean up my appdata folder of InDesign folders, reinstalled and it's still sluggish and laggy.

I also have a static wallpaper. I've seen people say the Bing wallpaper will affect InDesign performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kmoodysoh

You NEED to give it a few hours to finish initial "housekeeping" - there are a few threads and the solution is always the same - leave it alone for a few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening for months. It's been left open over an entire weekend several times before, both with a file open and without. Housekeeping should have been LONG since finished before I begain responding on this thread.

I'll leave it open overnight without a file open since I'm about to leave work for the day and look at it again in the morning since I just reinstalled, but I doubt that is what's going on here. This has been an issue for me since I upgraded my system back in April. I have reinstalled one other time during that time and have since just dealt with it, but it's getting really old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening for months. [...] 

By @kmoodysoh

So it wasn't a fresh install? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At several points over the last few months while trying to pinpoint this issue, yes, it was a fresh install.

I also uninstalled/reinstalled yesterday, which is why I went ahead and left it open all night for your "housekeeping" suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At several points over the last few months while trying to pinpoint this issue, yes, it was a fresh install.

I also uninstalled/reinstalled yesterday, which is why I went ahead and left it open all night for your "housekeeping" suggestion.

By @kmoodysoh

From your initial messages I thought that it's a fresh install - if it's a few months old then housekeeping suggestion doesn't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I left it open overnight. Then I came in and opened a file, closed and reopened InDesign and then opened a file, and restarted my PC and then opened InDesign after everything finished loading and I am still having this issue. So, "housekeeping" was not the issue for me.

However, I did go home and try InDesign on my PC there and InDesign works flawlessly there. I use the same OS and programs on both and the only difference between the two is the hardware. I just saw this thread having the same issue (with someone suggesting it was a single use case) and was hoping between the two I could finally pinpoint what was going on with mine and assist someone else in the process.

My problem only started when I upgraded my system. My previous 13 year old system didn't have this problem and it's been such a chore working in InDesign, which I use often.

Photoshop and Illustrator do not have this issue. Acrobat has similar issues, but is nowhere near as bad as InDesign.

I will continue to compare things on my systems and report back here if figure out what's going on or start a new thread if I do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kmoodysoh

Can you post hardware specs for both machines? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Home
(Custom Build)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660

Work
Dell Precision 7820
Dual Xeon Gold 6140
32GB RAM
Radeon RX590

Old Work
Dell Precision T3600
Dual Xeon E5-1620
16GB RAM
Radeon RX570

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

T3600 isn't dual CPU? 

T7820 with 36C/72T - nice - I have T7910 20C/40T fully maxed with RAM. So this one is affected?

Still, InDesign is a single core app... 

Any chance you can maybe change graphic card to NVidia? 

What about SSD drives? 

With 32GB you can turn off swap file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines