• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2019 cannot package linked files. Error: Can't copy selected links into a new folder.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help. I have a catalog I need to package so I can back it up. It is based off a catalog from last year, with minimal new files. The old catalog packaged fine. This one will NOT package. It won't collect fonts, it won't collect links. I have tossed InDesign preferences. I have made an IDLM file to clean it up. I have saved as to a different hard drive. I have renamed and relinked and tried to package. I keep getting an error message. The file iself has "no errors". I have also tried to select all the links and copy to a new folder. I get an error message there too. As far as I can tell there are not any embedded images, nothing with odd/bad charcters in the names. No idea. I need to resolve this. I have tried to package without creating a PDF, sometimes that's an issue. IT still won't package. I have even shut down my computer and restarted hours later. Nothing seems to work. I am running the most current version of Indesign. And the most current OS operating system. HELP! thanks so much. The file is about 88MB so not giant, and only 48 pages...

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tried to select all the links and copy to a new folder. I get an error message there too
Copy using what? File manager? Local hard disk, or network? What message says, exactly? Resolve the problem message complains about, and then try to package again.
FWIW, there's no such thing as 'the most current version'. Please provide exact name and version number. It may (or may not) be relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Message simply says "cannot copy links". doesn't say WHY! I am a single user. I am not working on a network. I work for myself, and I am a graphic designer, not a tech person. So I have done all the trouble shooting I can think of, or has worked in the past. Or that I found online that seemed to make sense. I have tried to package from my imac on my imac. From my imac to an external hard drive. From an extrernal Hard drive to that drive, and so on. In all cases the file says there are NO ERRORS. It is only when I try to get a complete file packaged or saved in any why I can assemble all the links that I have a problem.

I have tried to copy using the links pallet, selecting all the links and then copying them to a new folder. I still get a "cannot copy links" error message. No number, no help in finding the culprit.

If I knew how to identify the link causing the problem I would fix it. 
Versions. ID 14.03, Mojave: 10.140.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, seems like the problem is your links (linked files), not ID document. Can you copy those linked files to new location using some file manager, say, Finder? Collect everything on your local disk, don't try to package files from the local network. In theory, network shouldn't be a problem, but sometimes it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are in multiple places. If they were already all in one place I could have just copied them. I am aware that the problem is a linked file. I do not know how to DETERMINE which file so I can fix it. I don't want to miss collecting a file, thus I need to find away to correct the issue so I can either Package or copy the links in the documents links panel. At this point I can't even get the file to package fonts or create a new folder when asking to package....Something is not working correctly. Despite the file having NO errors according to the preflight panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to package any other your ID project? Just to eliminate possible corruption of InDesign preferences. Did you try exporting to pdf? Sometimes it can encounter that same error with the link, and stop. How many pages has your indd doc? Try to divide it to two or more parts, and test if you can export/package 'short versions', one by one. Make non-working part shorter and shorter, until you identify that one 'special' page with your corrupted link/linked file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"nothing with odd/bad charcters in the names."

Have you checked the names of all images’ the enclosing folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also inspect the names of the folders of the paths of all images.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I would second Winterm's suggestion of breaking the file into parts and then try to Package the parts. If that doesn't help either then our one-on-one support will be able to help you best. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines