• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2019 Keyboard shortcuts not working

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a potentially similar issue with InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0.1) on Windows 10. Occasionally when I first open ID, none of the keyboard commands work. For example, the selection tool is currently in use, so I'll press "T" to to use the text tool, but nothing happens. The workaround I found to alleviate this is to click into any text box on the properties bar and then hit the escape key until I lose focus of that item. The tools are once again responsive to the keyboard, at least until I close and restart ID. I don't recall having this issue until the past few months.

[ branched from Illustrator 2019 shortcuts stop working by moderator ]

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've basically done similar to this already as well as deleted and re-created my setting several times and also re-installed InDesign. I don't see how messing around with file permissions and settings yet again will fix this, considering that the core problem is easily bypassed by disabling Preferences -> General -> Show "Start" Workspace When No Documents Are Open. I don't observe turning off that option as an actual fix, because then it's forcing me to use InDesign in a manner I don't prefer. I'd rather that the programmers find the actual problem and resolve it so that InDesign is a better product.

Again, I've not noticed this problem until about 3rd or 4th quarter 2018. It may have been an issue for me ever since the "Start" Workspace was introduced (can't remember when that was), but I maybe didn't realize it right away or perhaps I was opening files differently (drag and drop don't cause the problem for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Foggy1989, did you find a solution to this? I am having the same issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi creativered,

what's your exact version of InDesign CC 2019?

14.0.0 ?
14.0.1 ?
14.0.2 ?
14.0.3 ?

What's your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. ESC key does not go back to Selection tool when using Type tool.

Mac OS 10.14.4; InDesign v. 15.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me too, using 15.0.1, when I minimize my Indesign, and then go back to it, none of my shortcut keys work unless i type some or change text first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having this issue everytime i open InDesign.... Like many other bugs from Adobe, They won't do anything to fix them.

They want our monthly subscription, force their products and cloud down our throats all the time but they won't fix anything.

We are the paying peasant and they are the masters.

Adobe just don't care and i'm looking forward to a proper alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been having the same issue for months (tried all the usual fixes), just upgraded to 15.0.2... and it still happens. I'm on OSX 10.14.5.

This is what's consistent for me (seems to have to do with the application frame):

• On first launch, every time, I cannot use cmd +O or +N to open or create a new document. 
  • If I use the File menu to open or create a new file first, then all my shortcuts work fine after that (doesn't matter whether I keep that file open or not, it just wants me to use the menu to do it first time).
  • If I launch by opening an INDD file from Finder, keyboard shortcuts work straightaway.
  • On first launch, if I turn the application frame (under Window) off and on again, then keyboard shortcuts work straightaway.
  • If I turn off the application frame, relaunch ID, then keyboard shortcuts will work fine straightaway.
  • If I turn on the application frame after launching, they will work that time, but won't work the next time I relaunch.

Not sure if this helps anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jessl21666485,

I'm on Windows 10 and I see the same thing:

After starting up InDesign I cannot open a document with Ctrl+o or doing a new document with Ctrl+n .

No big issue for me.

I am using a customized workspace where I start InDesign with a blank window.

If I click into the blank part one time InDesign's keyboard shortcuts are working again.

A question of where the focus of the app is after start-up.

Can see this behavior for a couple of versions now.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still active in CC2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes still having this issue. Most recent version of cloud: 5.2.0.436
and most recent version of indesign: 15.1.1 v64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Writing to say this is STILL an issue in March 2021. I have to restart my iMac several times throughout the day just to maintain InDesign's shortcut functionality, but the fix is only temporary. What Foggy1989 described in their post is exactly the issues I'm facing.

I have the latest macOS, everything is updated, I've tried reinstalling InDesign, reinstalling CC, deleting preferences, removing browser extensions, all of it. 

To be honest, none of us should have to jump through all of these hoops just to restore InDesign's core functionality. Why hasnt a patch or update been released in the two years since this thread was created to fix this problem? Why are other applications and 3rd party programs interfering with Adobe's functionality in the first place?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines