Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 (15.0.3): import of RGB TIF makes pure black items to glow

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

How do I fix the following glow of pure black items after import of RGB TIF files?

Glow.png

 

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more informations:

1. Is the output also RGB?
  2. What PDF export settings do you use?
  3. To be honest, I do not really understand, what you mean with glow and what you will tell us with those 2 screenshots?
  4. Why do you use TIFF and not any vector file for this graphic, like AI or PDF/X-4? Where does the image come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) The target output is CMYK.

2) Will share the screenshot a bit later.

3) On the screenshot: left is the original RGB TIF image in the Windows Preview; right is the image imported to ID with black (K) turned off. So the pure black lines in the original TIF become black with light magenta glow, especially the text labels.

4) Vector is not an option for me since the image generating software cannot output to SVG, AI or vector PDF.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import RGB images of any kind and convert it uopon output to CMYK in InDesign you will always get 4c-Black.

I recommend to confert this graphic (contrary to a photo) in Photoshop to CMYK, use a personalizid conversion with maximal Black to avoid 4 black. But better would be to use an AI or PDF/X4 file. Where does the graph come from? I would avoid Photoshop with such thin lines. I am sure you have access a file where you can go the vector path instead a file with pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AKazak,

best provide a sample TIF file so that we can look into the issue more closely. Put it on Dropbox and share the download link. I think, this is really a job for PhotoShop and not for InDesign to prepare the image print-ready.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Additional research on the topic showed, that the glow around black lines is in place in the original RGИ images.

I assume that image producing software I used to generate the original RGB images made a kind of antialiasing or font smoothing to make text more nice to read.

Does this make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines