• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 doesn't support transparent PNG and adds a colored background

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of Indesign doesn't seem to be willing to import transparent PNG files. I tried with a bunch of different images with no background and Indesign automatically adds a green or black background to it (see screenshot below). Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

Somehow, the same problem occurs with the previous version of Indesign (2019) that is still installed on my computer.

I never had this issue before.

Many thanks for the help

Capture d’écran 2019-12-19 à 10.01.31.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

It seems that InDesign only supports transparency with PNG-24 files, and not with PNG-8 files—even if the 8-bit files have been saved with the transparency option. You could resave as PNG-24, but if you're going to that trouble, you might as well, as George-S suggests, save as a PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Hello ,
To resolve this background issue that appears on transparent PNG-type images, I saved the png image as PDF.

It worked for me keeping the background transparent when I imported the corresponding PDF into InDesign cc.
Hope this helps more than one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to have helped you 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a vector image (.ai) with a transparent background from Adobe and am placing it in an Indesign file. When I do so it still shows the "transparent" background: 

Christina21822707jk6q_0-1662750430254.png

I saved it as a PDF and placed it and it did the same thing. I tried saving it as a PNG, but the file is for print and I need it to be high resolution. What am I doing wrong? Any and all assistance is appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Christina21822707jk6q , If you open the AI file, is the checkerboard pattern a layer in the file? If it is have you tried hiding or deleting the layer? Also, when you place .AI or .PSD files in InDesign there is Object>Object Layer Options, which lets you turn layers on or off from within ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I did need to hide the transparency grid layer. As simple as that seems, I did not realize that was a layer and have no idea when or how I would have figured that out. So very much appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an Illustrator file and you want to use it in InDesign—for any purpose—use this AI file and place it in InDesign. Using a PNG in this situation is the error.

If you have transparency and a vector file use PDF/X-4 or AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very dumb question... but are you working with the actual AI file or a preview/comp image that actually has the 'transparency' grid  in it?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm not sure? When I open the file in AI it says it's converted and RGB/Preview. in the file name and the transparency grid is visible (which I would expect).  The file I downloaded from Adobe Stock is a vector file (.ai) and I am "placing" that file in my InDesign file. And then it is showing the transparency grid, which I didn't expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be my guess. I know I have occasionally grabbed the wrong file from a library and only realized the mistake when placing a low-rez or watermarked or otherwise 'compromised' comp image.

I really can't think of any other reason something like a transparency grid would show up in the ID placement, since (in a work flow) they don't exist as part of the actual image.

Double check that you have the actual download-for-use AI, and not either a comp image or even a library index image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being so responsive and patient with my questions. It ends up that I had to hide or delete the transparency grid layer of the file in AI before I placed it in InDesign. I never realized the grid was an actual layer. Now I know.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There shouldn't be a "transparency grid layer" unless it's part of the overall image to have that grid as a displayable element. Transparency in Adobe is a virtual thing, with a (somewhat configurable) grid or pattern imposed by the app to show the location and depth of the transparency.

Anything like what you have, a visible part of the file, is just "art" that some users might choose to have show as part of the final composition.

But glad to have steered you to a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, none of the proposed solutions work for me. Not one. Whether it’s an AI file, a PDF or a transparent PSD, when placed into InDesign, it comes in with a white backaground. My only option is to copy the image in Ilustrator and paste it into Photoshop, then creat a clipping path.

A bad workaround, but the only one I have …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of the files that place with a white background? It really shouldn’t be a problem with any of those formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob Day. To clarify, the InDesign container box had a white fill. I’m embarrassed that it took me nigh two hours to figure that out. All good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've all been there. Some of us more than once. 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, that make a great timeline chat

--
*NCHETKOU NDAM Youssouf*
*UI / UX & Brand Identity Designer*

Tel : (237) 690-04-42-43

*https://twitter.com/nnyxdesigns <>*
*https://www.instagram.com/nnyxdesigns
<>*
*https://www.linkedin.com/in/youssouf-nchetkou-ndam-644175b8/*
<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. Please ignore and carry on. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you need to do is set the PNG image properties of Appearance / FILL to "none". Save first in PGN24 (or standard PNG, not "small file 8-bit"). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why? We as their customers pay so much to not have these issues and they make it even harder for us?!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines