• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 User Interface Too Small

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been unable to increase the size of the User Interface in InDesign. I am using a Lenovo Yoga laptop with 64 bit Windows 10. Illustrator and Photoshop are scaled up (too big but at least I can read them without squinting) and InDesign is not. Below is an image of the comparison between the two.

scaling.JPG

The settings under Preferences > UI Scaling only make the application appear smaller.

Thank you for your advice and support...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the O/S UI scaling set to? The only choices that work well is 150 and 200 and then you can match them in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. This is the still an issue with InDesign 2020 15.1.1 x64. I have a HP Zbook X2 with a 4k display built in. The interface settings do not improve the scaling enough to make the program fully usable. The default scale for this device is the 300%.  I do not have thise issue with Illustrator or PS. 
I did not have this issue with my Macbook Pro when running on OS X. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. It is only InDesign.

For the life of me I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also finding that when I use two monitors on a Windows system, the entire InDesign window can go haywire, enlarge beyond the screen. Royal PITA to get back to anything that's usable.

And if the screen's pixel resolution settings are changed, several InDesign dialogue boxes are clipped off.

Can't believe we're having this basic problem at this stage of the programming industry.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.

The UI scaling tech in InDesign dates back to Windows Vista. It should be an embarrassment and what ticks me off even more is I can't even get anyone to acknowledge it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this same issue posted beginning in 2018... 2 years and no resolution whatsoever

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't care about this.

It's remarkable that they won't even provide an explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well hell.  I was all excited to start learning InDesign this morning and this was the first issue ... the UI super small.

Sounds like it's known and at this point, there's nothing that can be done?  Do I have that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you. I would like to see an offical response from Adobe on this. This is affecting my usage of the program on my laptop. I have the HP Zbook X2, which is a product that debuted at Adobe Max in 2017. It's over 3 years later and the issue is still a problem. 

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/hp-unveils-worlds-first-detachable-pc-workstation-the-zbook-x2/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem for me. Zbook X2 was developed with adobe software in mind why can't Adobe sort this out?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This needs to be fixed. I'm becoming sight-impaired and it's super difficult to work in apps that don't allow me to custom scale items in the interface. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought Adobe had dealt with this issue and then I get a new laptop (Dell XPS 15 9500) and have the exact same issue as you. So frusterating!

Adobe...please allow greater UI scaling control or fix the issues. All the other CC apps I've used on the new system look great.

I feel like Adobe is abandoning InDesign to develop endless iPhone apps. Please maintain your core applications. I can't find a work around and like terzap have vision issues that make InDesign unusable on my screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are on windows 10. Try this, helped me. Just turn off High DPI scaling override.

Nick8988_0-1605881001135.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the "compatability" tab?

comp.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fount it.  I was in the properties for the InDesign folder ... not application.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't seem to work for me.  Did you change any other settings when changing the DPI settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH YEAH, nick you da'am! this totally fixed the issue with incorrect UI scaling. I have my main app window set to 4K monitor and the UI panels are pushed to a lower rez 32-inch monitor. InDesign build in UI scaling didn't do jack. changing high DPI setting via winexplorer fixed everything. now, my main screen uses native 4K rez while my other screen with all the UI panels shows up in its native resolution. no more blurry UI. whoohooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This fixed it for me, though Adobe should fix the issue, not force each user to seek walkaround.
My settings were a little different, but basically I made the system prefer it's own scaling (125% for me) before the application scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to add your voice here - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/32003341-in... - it may be won't fixed by years as now, but all that we can do - add our voice and wait.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't care. I've been complaining for years!

Adobe employees don't even comment (you know...those silly "we're sorry you're experiencing this..." kind of responses) on these complaints the way they do on every other one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right. But this is only one thing that we can do and they will see this. 

>> I've been complaining for years!

I do ask this - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests more than 10 years through beta feature requests and then trough uservoice. We see that this request is top#1 and they ignore this! We can only ask it and add our voices. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update for 2021:

I've successfully increased the GUI size in Windows 64 in InDesign 2021. 

But it's still a bit dicey when you view some dialogue boxes, especially larger ones that can get clipped off, like the Paragraph Styles definition dialogue.

These 3 screen caps are from a high-res laptop (primary screen 2736 x 1824 resolution) with an external monitor 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Below: Laptop at its recommended resolution and scaling gives a passable GUI size.

Primary screen, laptop at recommended 2736x1824 resolution and 200% scaling.Primary screen, laptop at recommended 2736x1824 resolution and 200% scaling.

External Monitor at its recommended resolution and scaling is unuseable.

External monitor at recommended settings: 1920 x 1200 and 100% scaling.External monitor at recommended settings: 1920 x 1200 and 100% scaling.

External Monitor increased to 150% scaling gives a usable GUI size. Any higher and dialogue boxes are clipped.

External monitor with scaling increased to 150%.External monitor with scaling increased to 150%.

I'm going to test this 3rd setting for the next couple of weeks to see:

1. How stable it is. Previouis scalings have made InDesign crash and perform irratically.
  2. If any dialogue boxes are clipped.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines