• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 saving files in a different folder from where I originally opened the file

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the 2021 update, instead of overwrite the file, it saves inside the folder from the job I was working before, how can I change this? I don't want to have to everytime I go save the file find the correct folder to save...

You know what I mean?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020
Community Expert , Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

It's fixed in the latest update!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems it is a known bug and is being investigated by the Adobe Engineering team. See the issue reported here. Do upvote the issue to make this a priority fix.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this site, but I was unsure if indesign.uservoice.com was a valid site, and didn't want to post my email address to some site that would add to junk email.
Why would Adobe switch domains, to capture votes to fix a bug ?
uservoice.com is a 3rd party site, and I am not sure it is supported or monitored by Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a genuine site, these forums are peer to peer forums and employees/engineering teams don't frequent here much. Whereas the other site is solely meant for things like bug reporting, feature requests, etc.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest InDesgn update of yesterday, 10//22/20, InDesign is saving files to the wrong folder.  Everything is being saved to the folder that was opened yesterday rather than to the one I am now using.  This has happened before after previous updates, and I'm glad that I caught it this time before I had to search for missing files.  Just wanted to inform everyone of the problem until Adobe corrects it!  WATCH OUT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Small Town Gal,

I cannot see this issue with my German InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77 on Windows 10.

However, what I can see and what I regard as a bug is:

If I open an older version InDesign file with InDesign 2021 that is showing "Converted" in the layout windows' tab bar, then a Save As is not suggesting the folder where I opened the older InDesign file from.

That does not happen with a file that I created and already saved with InDesign 2021 at least once.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue since the update and I'm hoping there is a fix coming. I've got a production situation with roughly 300 folders, each containing an InDesign document that is updated quarterly. I really hope I don't have to deal with this for the next three months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been reported already, and folks at Adobe are looking at it. For updates on the issue please go to this link

While you are at the bug report, do upvote it so that it is taken up for fixing at the earliest.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, I couldn't find anything exactly like what I have been dealing with.

For the past few days, everytime I save a file in InDesign, it automatically wants to save the file to the most recent folder I have used. The problem with that is, I use dozens of folders every day for different clients, and this is really annoying. It used to be that when I saved a file, it automatically tried to save in the files origin folder, which is perfect for my uses.

Does anyone know how to make it so the file saves to it's original folder? I have checked my InDesign preferences, and I can't seem to see anyting that would resolve this issue.

Thanks

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug in the latest version of InDesign, it has been reported to the Adobe Engineering team. For more details refer the following discussion

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-2021-saving-files-in-a-different-folder-from-where-...

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to 2021.  When opening existing docuemnts which show [converted] in the tab, in past new versions when you resave it would automatically save to the same folder the file was opened in.  Now with 2021, it wants to only resave by default to the last folder you saved something in.  Is there a way or trick to default to the same folder the file was opened from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug in the latest update and is being worked upon by the Adobe Engineering team. For updates look at this link. Also do upvote the issue so that it is picked up for fix at the earliest.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the latest update posted on the bug filed for this issue, it is fixed and is available in the latest update of InDesign i.e. 16.0.1. Update your InDesign and give it a spin(i think the updates are rolled out incrementally, so not all people would see the update right away).

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41695588-indesign-16-0-... 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html - as I undesrstand bug is killed fixed in the ID 16.01

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the fix. That was the second time in a row you guys have release a version with that bug in it. Maybe you should bookmark that for the next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it is so annoying. It disrupts my workflow because I have to search for files using Apple Search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fixed in the latest update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seriously, guys, is it really that hard to set default save place to a folder, from which opened document comes from? instead of the last used folder with completely different work? who came up with such a brilliant idea? 

why do you keep on making users' lives miserable in the most unexpected ways?

do you realise how much of trouble you're throwing upon users? 

or, if it is somehow ms windows' fault, is it really that hard for adobe and microsoft to come up with the solution together?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi outis82,

I cannot see this behavior with my German InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77 on Windows 10.

However, what I can see is a bug in this direction if I open a previous version InDesign document with 16.0.0.77 that is first showing a Converted tag at the document window. And yes, this is a known bug:

InDesign 16.0 saves Converted files in last used folder, not containing folder
Rich, Oct 21, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41695588-indesign-16-0-...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue now. Every time I export, it defaults to the last folder I saved to, rather than the current folder my document is saved in. Keep looking for a setting to update to fix this, but so far, no joy. Any idea how to fix this? It's really annoying to have to navigate to the correct folder every single time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @gretchenl42596648 ,

Sorry for the delay in response. Would you mind confirming the version of InDesign & OS, where the files are saved, and whether this is happening with specific or multiple files?

We're here to help, just need more information.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm having the same issue. I am using Adobe InDesign 18.4 2023 version, Adobe CC 2023, Monterrey 12.6.5.  Is there a fix for this issue yet?

Gabriela Garcia

Corporate Creative Manager

Hydronix Water Technology 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue as of 18.5 2023 Adobe CC, Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue. Indesign 18.5 Mac Monterrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue. Indesign 19.0.1 Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines