• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2022 - can I convert file to 2021? Need to publish to Blurb but they won't accept 2022 vers

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to publish to Blurb and have been working in ID 2022. Blurb won't accept 2022 version. Can I convert the file to the older 2021 version 

?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Try using IDML if that is accepted, if not then the only solution is to reinstall 2021 and create the INDD file from the IDML exported out from 2022.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

I thought Blurb took PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Using the Community forum to InDesign user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using IDML if that is accepted, if not then the only solution is to reinstall 2021 and create the INDD file from the IDML exported out from 2022.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful with IDML--that format goes all the way back to CS4. That means you may lose some important features when saving back that far. Uploading a PDF would be a better choice.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blurb has a comprehensive help section on uploading as PDF.  Definitely my plan. Thanks so much for the advice. 

2. Upload a PDF

You have a few options on how to get it over to us:

• If you are using Adobe InDesign to create your book, use the Blurb InDesign Plug-in to design and upload your project.
  • If you created your PDF using a program besides InDesign, you can upload it via our PDF uploader.

Please note: PDFs will be automatically resized if they are within about a 10% dimension tolerance, so after you upload your PDF, carefully review its preview.

All set? Upload your PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree but that would be an issue if the IDML is opened in a very old version like CS4 in which case all the features used in the document released for versions after CS4 would not be present. However for moving back one version this would hardly cause any issues as the user most probably would not have used any of the new feaures of CC2022 in the document(I am not sure if any document format changing feature has been released in 2022). So in my opinion this should be quite a safe bet.

P.S. :- I see that the dicusssion shifted to using PDF as the upload, so IDML might not be needed now.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that a PDF produced for Blurb from InDesign 2022 is different from one produced from InDesign 2021? That's unlikely I would have thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought Blurb took PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Bob is correct. If I recall, even their InDesign plugin creates a PDF to upload.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is the case I can take the 2022 file and convert to a pdf. Their plug in is attached to the Adobe File menu and I use their interface to upload. Don't know what they do during the uploading process. I'll try to work directly with Blurb and PDFs.  Thank you for your help.  This is totally new territory for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines