• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2023 Crashing When Placing Images

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have scoured the internet for a solution to this but to no avail. The problem: When placing images from Dropbox into any Indesign file (I tried my problem file as well as a blank, brand-new document) it freezes and forces me to Task Manager Force Close. When I copy and paste images it happens less, but that does nothing to help me since I need the new images from Dropbox for my work.

I have tried clearing my caches, clearing and resetting preferences, updating and restarting my PC, and uninstalling both my Creative Cloud and applications. It still is happening. I know the file isn't damaged and even if it was, I've exported it as IDML 4 times and resaved it only to have each exhibit the same problem. 

I need help asap, since I use InDesign for my daily workflow and can't get anything done with it constantly breaking.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way is to File > Place, of course, and should we assume you are dragging from a DropBox folder in your computer OS and not from a web browser? I am just guessing with you. 

Resetting preferences can take a few approaches and so here is a link to a procedural:

Reset InDesign Preferences

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do use File > Place. The location the photos are housed in is a company Dropbox. I'll give the deep reset a go since I had only found the Ctrl+Alt+Shift method in my search. I'll report back if there are any developments!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off smart sync in your Dropbox prefs. It can cause InDesign to time out waiting for the files to sync locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only finding the options for Make Online Only, Make Offline, and Selective Sync. I currently have it set to  Online Only simply because I don't have the space for massive amounts of files we have. My coworker has it the same, we use the same year and model of PC with the same Windows software and he doesn't have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's your problem right there. You have to turn off the online-only thing or sync them locally before you start working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's unfortunate. It's a shame, since this will end up eating my time up like crazy just to add and then remove photos for this document. It's sad this happened only after this update. Hopefully, that can be fixed in a later update so it doesn't crash InDesign every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, I tried downloading the pics to my desktop first and it crashed again. Suggestions? Also, thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a different problem, then. What are the system specs of the computer? Have you tried trashing your preferences, yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have trashed the preferences. The specs are:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G7 CPU @ 1.20GHz 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.6 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Storage 237 GB

Let me know if I missed any information that could help figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are set for free space on that machine? Win 10/11? Does this happen with all files or just this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 and all InDesign files. It has only happened since the latest 2023 InDesign update but happens to both existing and freshly created documents. I have some backup files saved on the Desktop, but most files are saved to the shared Dropbox. So C: drive is the only place files are stored and that is at 113 GB/237 G used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also thought it pertinent to add that it only freezes in InDesign. Google, Files, Slack, and my mail all are functioning just fine, with no lag or freezing on any other aspect of my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it is Windows, have you emptied out the C:\Windows\Temp folder lately? The fuller it gets, the more weird things and crashing happen. 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took your suggestion and tried it. It definitely sped up the loading process but ended up freezing on me again as soon as the image placed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines