• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 'Align to selection' not working help

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if i have turned something off or if it is a new update however, I have noticed recently that I am unable to select two points and 'align to section' anymore so they align vertical/horizontally.
Can anyone help?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Thank you! I have reverted to pixel perfect design and use a grid. For what I'm doing I should be using illustrator any 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it ever worked that way at all.

You can turn on smart guides and it should snap. But I don't remember ever being able to select and align nodes, maybe in Illustrator.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, I'm not on my computer to test. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=I jump between indesign illustrator and photoshop. I feel like it is a natural movement for me so can swear i have always done it - but maybe it was all a dream haha. you can do it in illustrator without any issues. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of this feature in InDesign, and I have been using InDesign since 2002. You can align objects, which will move some or all selected objects but will do nothing to change their shapes. In Illustrator you can average selected points horizontally or vertically, which effectively aligns them.

One thing you can do, and this works best with corner points, is select all the points you want to align with the Direct Select tool (white arrow) and scale the selection horizontally or vertically to 0%, effectively flatting the part of the path you have selected.Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 1.34.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 1.34.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly how im doing in the moment. like you i have been using since day dot. It looks like my old head is going senial and confusing it with illustrator haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dave_D26 ,

the feature you are looking for is not part of InDesign. I think, that Adobe Illustrator is able to do this.

In your specific case you can use a different feature of InDesign: just convert the polygon object to a rectangle.

Object > Convert Shape > Rectangle

From my German InDesign 2022:

ConvertPolygonToRectangle.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select several, but not all, anchor points with the direct selection tool. It will align to the most extreme anchor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely an Illustrator feature. Consider voting for this feature to be added to InDesign:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33620314-al...

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in the meantime, you could copy the position value for an anchor point in the Transform panel, and paste it. (Or just use ruler guides.)

~Barb

2022-11-28_07-38-28 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I have reverted to pixel perfect design and use a grid. For what I'm doing I should be using illustrator any 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines