Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign & icloud back up question

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My computer automatically uploads files from my computer to the cloud which while is handy for back ups is infuriating when trying to work on documents,

For example, large documents take forever to find all files and re-link and once you've linked them all....... the cloud starts taking them again so the whole process of downloading them starts again.

Currently 1.5 hours playing cat and mouse with icloud to get my missing links for a document.

HELP! Hope this makes sense

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using iCloud. Switch to Dropbox or OneDrive and make sure that smart sync features are turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Do you know if there's a smart sync' feature in iCloud I could try first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to check this out:

https://www.howtogeek.com/721152/how-to-stop-icloud-sync-for-desktop-and-documents-folders-on-mac/

Maybe this will help you past your syncing issues.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm sorry but it should be easy enough to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest that you consider using TimeMachine for your backups to an external device and/or the cloud, rather than iCloud's real-time backup updating. Or whatever alternate continuous backup solution you're using.

That would give you control over what gets backed up, and when, compared to the real time miseries you're dealing with right now.

In short, continuous backup settings are a false economy. While there's a small chance that something may fall through the cracks compared to regular, scheduled backups, you're clearly seeing the downside of continuous backup strategies.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, most AdobeCC subscriptions include 1TB of cloud storage. The Creative Cloud app installs a folder in your User folder named Creative Cloud Files. Any files and folders you store in the CCF folder will automatically sync to your Adobe cloud account.

The sync’ing happens in the background after a save, and would not affect the Adobe apps’ performance—you work on the local copies of the documents and any links you place in an InDesign document are the local copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Adobe website:

Indv/Edu plan: 100 GB 

Teams plan: 1 TB

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies.

I still can't work it out. I currently still use timemachine occassionally and do really like the icloud back up feature but just wish there was a way to turn it off where all my files don't disappear. 

Still not sure what the solution is 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, did you find a solution at all? i'm also struggling with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What cloud service are you using? The original question was about iCloud.

InDesign does not currently backup to the cloud on its own. Adjust your backup settings so your desktop and/or documents folder is not automatically backed up. Then work locally then copy your project folder to your backup service when done for the day (or multiple times per day).

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines