• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign and EPS icons changed to AI

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, all my Adobe icons have changed to AI. So EPS and InDesign files, all have AI icon which makes it hard to find the correct file! Any reason why?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

"Windows"  *which version? 10? 11?

First thing is check your file associations. For example, right click on an InDesign file in File Explorer and make sure the default application is InDesign. If not, change it in Properties. If it is correctly set, then something else is at play,

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 1.47.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Icons are managed by the System, so something is awry there.

What OS/Platform are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Windows"  *which version? 10? 11?

First thing is check your file associations. For example, right click on an InDesign file in File Explorer and make sure the default application is InDesign. If not, change it in Properties. If it is correctly set, then something else is at play,

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 1.47.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorted, MANY THANKS!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is, why do you use EPS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting for mail merging in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why  EPS? We live in 2022. Use PDF/X-4 or AI instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with using EPS files, especially if it's supplied that way. 

I work on a global network of designers and eps files were created many many years ago and are still used today. 

There's no need to change an entire file system to a different format - if it's EPS leave it as EPS.

If you're creating new assets then @Willi Adelberger gave good information.

And certainly if the EPS file is not behaving well, - and goes for all files -, then try saving to a different format. EPS would be best served as a .ai file with PDF compatibility.

But there's certainly no reason to start resaving all your EPS files to something else if all is working well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. EPS do not support transparency nor color management. EPS can also cause problems with T1 fonts. If converted to PDF, which can be done in a batch via Distiller you can eliminate these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these problems exist. If they worked before then why fix what's not broken. 

I agree if creating new files, stick to a more modern format.

In my eyes, if they supply eps files, or you have used them without issue, then carry on. 

EPS files saved in illustrator do support transparency (I use them all them time with a Barcode creator) - an Illustrator saved EPS file will have transparency - and some eps data. 

We don't even know if this OPs files are in fact even Illustrator files, they could be photoshop EPS files. And we all know that if you open a Photoshop EPS it will completely flatten everything in there. 

So any vector data (text layers, vector shapes, vector masks) would be rasterised. 

Not something you want to force into a file that was working well before. 

Anyway - we can agree to disagree. 

I certainly don't mess with supplied files unless there's an issue with the output. 

And at that point I need to send back to the client to ensure they are happy with the results. 

If I did change the format without the clients knowledge and it went wrong, that's on me. 

If something goes wrong with supplied file (at a point I'm not involved) then I can help them resolve it. 

But it's certainly not up to me to start converting working files to other formats for no reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. EPS saved in Illustrator do not support transparency. They keep transparency alive only if you open them in Illustrator again. But if you place them in InDesign, Photoshop or even in Illustrator in another file, transparency is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I misinterpreted what you said - I was thinking about no-backgrounds, and not transparent effects.

And if these weren't a problem before - they certainly shouldn't be a problem - and if it is a problem as I have said numerous times

1) If the file is supplied and no issues no  need to resave to another format - waste of time and can introduce problems.

2) If you're creating the file or need to make amends - best to save as another format as you suggested. 

No issue here. Apologies for the misunderstanding and terminology cross-over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong with EPS in an appropriate workflow. We all know the benefits of using PDF and AI in this day and age. Regardless, this was not the question originally posed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines