Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

InDesign Application Memory Issues M1 Macbook Pro

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a Macbook Pro M1 Pro (16GB Memory) and I keep getting "Your system has run out of application memory" whilst using Adobe software. After about an hour of using InDesign and Illustrator simultaniously I get this pop-up and am forced to quit one of the programs to free up memory space. On activity monitor it shows InDesign using 70GB+ of memory with only 2 or 3 documents open after only a couple hours. I also noticed that when importing an image into an InDesign document, the application memory goes up a considerable amount. For example, importing a single 1MB image increased my InDesign application memory by 2GB. I previously had a 16GB Intel Macbook Pro and never had this issue. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the latest versions of InDesign and Illustrator? Until pretty recently none of the Creative Cloud programs were running natively on computers with the M1 chip. This caused lots of issues. Make sure that your InDesign is version 16.3 or later (CC 2022 v.17.0 is the latest) and update Illustrator to a version 25.4 or later (26.0.1 is the latest) and see if that makes a difference.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using InDesign 17.0. I saw a comment saying this is fixed on the InDesign beta app but Im unable to load it. It says the InDesign (beta) has expired. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure it will help but 17.0.1 is rolling out now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing, Currently there is an issue in macOS Monterey where users are facing Memory issues (https://9to5mac.com/2021/11/15/monterey-app-memory-leak-solution-suggestion/) (https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/01/macos-monterey-memory-leak-user-reports/). I would suggest you to to be patient and wait for a new update from Apple.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines