• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign blank window when switching displays

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When having a file open in InDesign 2024 on my Macbook Pro (Sonoma 14.2.1 OS), close the lid, plug into my LG UltraFine external monitor and wake the computer up, the InDesign window is still open and all the tool bars are visible and working, but the area where the artwork is becomes black/blank and I can't see the work. I can see the bounding boxes if I select all, but no image or text. The window is entirely blank. The same thing happens if I'm working on my LG monitor, unplug the display and then open the Macbook to work. I always have my Macbook closed when plugged into the LG display and use both an external keyboard and trackpad. The solution is to always save, quit InDesign and reopen. If I go through that it works again. Is it a bug with Apple? Is it a bug with Adobe?

My LG firmware, OS and Adobe InDesign are all updated to the latest versions.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an uncommon issue at all, nearly every person I've ever worked with in every creative agency has this issue for the last year at least. We've just gotten used to closing and re-opening as we don't switch from desktop to laptop mode all that often.

By @BenM8

I was originally replying to a post that didn't mention any second monitor hence I thought it's an unusual issue hat involves the laptop only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kinda unbelievable that this has been a thing for so long. It definitely has something to do with Macs connected to monitors. Doubt it's only DisplayPort. Doesn't seem to be only Macbooks as main machine connected to monitors. But since Adobe still can't seem to remember my personal Workspace setup preferences from one boot to the next I can't imagine they can solve this one either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am one of those people but I'm now super frustrated with this, I hope Adobe fixes this issue, it's very easy to test based on all the descriptions here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue in our 34 strong design team who are constantly leaving and reconnecting to wacom screens. Very frustrating and we haven't found a work-aroud yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to have issues with Apple Silicon from the getgo. I wish they'd spend some time and money and figure this out. It's becoming reliably annoying. As always, Photoshop seems to be the only app unaffected by anything Apple throws at Adobe.

Like James Brown says: "I'M MAD!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just not using GPU anymore. I toggled that off. Probably the way I work, I don't notice much difference. I don't use animated zoom anyway, (I just select the area that I want to zoom to), so I haven't had the problem since then (a few weeks ago?). I know this is not helpful to those who rely on GPU features.

I have plenty of other problems though, plugging and unplugging monitors and laptop. Disappearing windows, apps in stage manager not showing up anywhere no matter how many times I drag my mouse over to that edge,  (both on my laptop OR on either monitor), hidden apps that do not open even when I tab through them, etc, etc, etc. After almost 40 years of working on computers, I'm realizing I'm never going to be totally happy with them! 😞 laughing and crying at the same time! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The VERY fact that you can flip to CPU and see the art, and then flip back to GPU and it goes blank again just shows that Adobe is STILL failing four years on at working with Apple Silicon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue, Adobe. Would love a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines