• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest and greatest this morning.

Now iD crashes on my iMac and my Laptop (Sierra 10.12.6) with quit unexpectedly...

Anybody else with this issue?

Regards

Romano

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Hi all

Adobe just dropped a new update to InDesign 2018 in our inbox.

And yes it is working on HighSierra!

Looks like we can all go back to normal.

Regards

Romano

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 111 Replies 111
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything on here and have even completely removed Suitcase (latest version) but InDesign and Muse CC 2018 still crash instantly on startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any Adobe staff monitoring this thread: is this now officially identified as an actual bug and - if so - is there any progress on an update or patch?

I ask as, like many others, I'm keen to use the new version, but am too busy on production work to install ID 2018 again until I know there's good reason to try.

PS: My other updated CC 2018 apps all seem to be playing ball nicely 🙂

VBW

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeCrashReporter seems to be corrupt on multiple machines after installation:

/Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2018/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2018.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Versions/Current/AdobeCrashReporter

Replacing it with the same file from v 2017 fixes the problem for us:

/Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2017/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2017.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Versions/Current/AdobeCrashReporter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 2018 crashes on startup. I do not see Adobe Crash reporter – only Send to Apple.

It has to do with fonts. I do not want to spend time on this, rather wait until Christmas or so to make sure things are cleaned up. Going back to ID 2017 works. Rather spending the time helping my 30+ users reverting to version 2017. Some of them crash on 2018. Some don't.

There is barely anything new in this version anyways – and 2017 is basically the same as 2016. There seems to be hardly any developement on InDesign. (But that is understandable; Adobe gets their monthly payments anyway so why should they bother?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2018!! Crash 3 times in 10 minutes and nothing saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I installed InDesign 2018, the 2017 version was removed. Any way to get it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the creative cloud box in the app section, there should be an arrow next to the 'open' or 'install' circle of InDesign, click other versions from the drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a solution to this problem yet? It's been a week since this post was started and I haven't seen too much progress on this from Adobe. Obviously, I have the same issue, InDesign crashes on start up. I do not use a font management program, but I have many non-standard fonts installed on my computer. Both Photoshop and Illustrator 2018 work fine. I have reverted back to InDesign 2017 like many of the posters here too.

What is the next step? Or do we continue to use 2017 until a patch is ready?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no solution yet, im still on 2017, which is fine until i start getting files from vendors that are on 2018... not sure why we havent heard from an adobe rep in a while. If it helps, below is the apple crash report:

Process:               Adobe InDesign CC 2018 [57314]

Path:                  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Adobe InDesign CC 2018.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC 2018

Identifier:            com.adobe.InDesign

Version:               13.0.0.125 (13000)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           Adobe InDesign CC 2018 [57314]

User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2017-10-26 12:39:21.428 -0500

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)

Report Version:        11

Time Awake Since Boot: 240000 seconds

Time Since Wake:       98000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        5

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x8:

-->

__TEXT                 000000010791f000-0000000107926000 [   28K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Adobe InDesign CC 2018.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon,

After reading all the post, I have tried everything suggested  and it still crashes on launch. We are using a iMac OS 10.12.6 with ID2018. ID 2017 works fine. We loaded Suit case 8 and it still doesn't work. If need, I can post the crash report. I still have ID2017 which works well.

Thanks

Mike Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me the crash log at santalwa@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC 18 is crashing on the splash screen, is there a fix for this yet. I'm in the middle of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had similar issues. If you save the file as an IDML file then re-open in InDesign. Then save it again as normal it seems to work then. A bit of a pain I know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Just FYI: I finally got InDesign 2018 working, with assistance from Sanyamt.

I've kept ID 2017 as well, for the time being.

Method: went in and hid / renamed my ID 2017 InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData files, using these instructions: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences​.

Installed ID 2018. As these files were hidden, it created a fresh, no-preferences install.

Launched it: no splash screen crash!

Have had it working for a couple of hours now, so, wheeee!

VBW

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there an update to where i dont have to read 5 paragraphs of text and show hidden files and feel like im hacking my own computer just to get this to work, i honestly dont have time for that, got stuff to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, as far as I'm aware, no.

But, on the plus side, it did work and it is stable.

VBW

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried this method and it doesn't work for me. App is still quitting at splash screen.

Edit: it's actually just after the splash screen. The grey workspace for the app appears for a split second before it quits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this method twice. The second time, I tried deleting the cache and preferences BOTH by manually removing them, AND by then relaunching InDesign CC 2107 while holding command+control+option+shift and letting the application delete them itself. InDesign CC 2018 still crashes — not immediately, but after I either create a new document (just an empty page) and try to save it, or when I try to open an existing document. I'm not even being allowed to navigate to where I want to save or open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian

I'd suggest getting in contact with Sanyamt in this thread. He guided me and I believe was open to helping further if that didn't work out.

All I can tell you is, for my setup (2014 Retina iMac, Mac OS 12.12.6, Extensis Suitcase Fusion and previously CC ID 2017), it worked.

I can only tell you that, having finally got CC ID2018 working, I think that renaming (in case you need to roll back to them) the InDesign Defaults and SavedDate files or trashing them ( as specified in this article Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences.) and then doing a 'fresh' install of ID 2018 (where no previous settings are imported) should work.

But that's just my experience and I think it's a shame that the upgrade path has been difficult on this version.

Hope that helps.

VBW
M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done everything that you did, by the looks of it. Next step is to set up a new account on the computer and try and do a fresh installation into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been having crash on startup issues with InDesign 2018. ID 2018 crashes every time I try to start it. Even immediately after an uninstall and reinstall. With all the preferences deleted. Even after installing the patch. I see the opening screen but none of the menus are live, and when I check the Windows 7 Task Manager I can watch it change from "Running" to "Not Responding." Yesterday for an hour or so at the end of the day I tried opening it running it as administrator, and it seemed to work well then. But this morning, even running as administrator, it's up to its old tricks.

So today I reinstalled the patch, rebooted the machine, and it worked again (but only when I ran as administrator). Until I quit and restarted (you know, to save some preferences I'd set and wanted to keep), at which point it went down again. So after that I reinstalled the patch (again) and rebooted (again) and then it worked (but only when I ran as administrator). But I'm not looking forward to going through this routine every time I need to restart ID.

If there's anything you can do to help me get this running consistently, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I started this discussion. Over the last few days I was able to do all my design work in Illustrator and just left this run it's course.

Looks like a clean install is maybe working for some of us but not all.

To anybody at Adobe. Could you give us an idea on where we stand.

Are we just a few that have an issue. I got the same problem on 2 machines. Coincidence?

There must be 1000s of users that have no issue, upgrade just worked. Correct?

It be nice to have some "official" feedback, so we know just to wait or actually try everything that people mention in here.

Regards

Romano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think its hilarious that adobe has not addressed this situation, the most that has come from this is "send us your crash report". which i did, and they said they had a fix, and wanted to contact me, so i gave then all my info and said yea lets do a conference call or something to resolve this... havent heard a word from them yet... i love the fact they feel the need to update something on a yearly basis for the sole purpose of charging us a yearly account and yet no one is saying anything about it. That "oh well nothing is wrong with our product but we are billing people so we have to do something" mindset is just revolting as far as i am concerned. This post is MONTHS old and no resolution, wtf get your shit together...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines