• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC - layout a dual language book, 2nd language reverse order and upside down

Participant ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I'm trying to layout a dual language book where you flip the book over so that each language looks like it has a front cover and flows from left to right.  So the first half is easy, but the second language needs to be upside down and the text frames flow in reverse order starting from the last page and going to the middle of the book. 

Any ideas on how to do this simply?

I have a master page for each language, the second language is set upside down (header on bottom etc).  I was thinking I have to manually thread frames in the reverse order and then rotate each one of them to make them upside down?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Yes, set up enough blank pages at the end of the first document to accommodate the second one.

From there, File > Place. Shift-select the alternate-language ID file (or select with Show Import Options checked) and choose all pages. Then place each page from back to front, going back afterwards to rotate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do this, I set up two separate documents, and then place the pages for the second language onto the first document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the page numbering?   You want the last page of the book (first page of 2nd language) to start at 1 again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page numbers are in the other-language document before I place it.  - to be clear, I'm not pasting the content in. The entire document page can be placed like a graphic, and will update as changes to the original document are made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so how do I place the 2nd document in then?  And do I need the correct number of pages already setup in the first doc?  (and thank you for your help!!!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, set up enough blank pages at the end of the first document to accommodate the second one.

From there, File > Place. Shift-select the alternate-language ID file (or select with Show Import Options checked) and choose all pages. Then place each page from back to front, going back afterwards to rotate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect - thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one another method to accomplish this:

Indesign

> set two separate indesign documents

> make two pdf files

Open the second pdf in Acrobat:

- tools > organize pages > extract all pages as separated pages

- file > create > Combine files into a single pdf file

- add files > click the name tab and change the order of the individual files from increasing to decreasing > combine files

- Rotate this pdf file of 180°

- Combine the two pdf files into one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I already explain How to do that in the youtube video including Arabic and English Book (Story) in the same Document :

https://youtu.be/Ij1Imk_yiYw 

and you will find the Script in the Video Description, or you can Download the two scripts discussed in the video (Reverse InDesign Pages with Page Numbering) and (Merge InDesign Docs InDesign) JavaScripts - English Version Included from Here :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yebSbG5WGLt1LF28on0jPKBP6XzNnBO2?usp=sharing 

Best
Mohammad Hasanin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines