• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

Should I upgrade to mountain lion? I am using a 2010 MBPro 10.6.8 and never installed an IOS upgrade so far. Do you think this will cause the problems with Indesign?  By the way I also use Suitcase Fusion 12.1.6.

tnx carolien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if it will help or hurt but if you do it, do it as a CLEAN INSTALL. No upgrades, no migration assistant. And you can forget about that ancient version of Suitcase. I'm surprised it hasn't given you any issues even on Snow Leopard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Illustrator CC and InDesign CC run like a sloth on my system here. I'm rocking a:

iMac 2013

Core i5 2.9GHz

8GB 1600-DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

OS X 10.8.4

So the system should be more than capable. I really think it's an issue with the apps not utilizing the GPUs efficiently or something. It's super lame.

I'm definitely running into the same issues with delays and lag in:

• Dragging objects.
  • Selecting objects after clicking on them.
  • Copy-dragging (Opt+Drag) objects.
  • Rendering text selection + typing.
  • Major delays in Copying/Pasting objects. Selecting an object and pressing Cmd+C results in 1-3 seconds of waiting before the app will respond again.
  • Scrolling / panning. Need I say more?
  • Cursor skips around on the screen during some interactions, and the app forgets where I placed it last, resulting in the cursor jumping to the middle of the screen, or after dragging something, jumps back to where I started dragging from.
  • Holding Space to use the hand tool and pan around sometimes results in getting stuck in panning mode even after I've let go of Space, where pressing Space once more switches to the tool I was using previously.

It's an unusable mess and is completely ruining my workflow.

Please fix this Adobe. CS5 and CS6 seem to perform just fine, so what's the deal? There's no reason why people should have to turn off certain trivial features and settings like Transparency just to get a minor performance boost. Even that doesn't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No snow here. My system is still the old Leopard. I will have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first an then do a clean install of ML. Will also have to check how to do a clean install. But from what I hear this will not solve my InDesign problem.

tnx anyway

c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Mountain Lion does not necessarily help.  I am running three different operating systems, and the performance is poor all around.  I guess I'm doomed with one machine as it won't allow a ML upgrade.  Like I said somewhere else, it reminds me of the old days when a new software version would render hardware obsolete, but I thought we were past that, especially just for a page layout program.  Maybe the next fix will do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I find most interesting is that people with multiple machines are

reporting problems on all of them. I don't recall any reports from

someone that said it was great on one machine and lousy on another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that was a bit sloppy of me!  I think the 9.1 update improved Windows performance, but two large projects that I had to work on all over the place forced me to stick with CS6.  I"ll check the relative performance in various evnvironments and give a better report later -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I was finallly able to update the software on my MAC and though it seems somewhat faster, the issues appear to remain.

Scrolling, pageup/down and moving side to side is slower in CC than in CS6. I didn't need to test anything else since that's the main issue to me.

I used exactly the same file in the same environment... CS6 is significantly more responsive.

My machine?

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@All,

Thanks for providing your feedback on the performance issues. We are aware about some of the performance issues like the transparency one(Typing and Selection over the transparent Object) and are working on that. For other issues related to performance like Scrolling, moving Objects it would be great if you can provide us with some files in which you are seeing the slowness. I have read in the forums that scrolling and panning is painfully slow. Please provide us with the files in which you are seeing these issues @ sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks for you help.

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Kind regards, René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated my MacOS to 10.8.5. Issues remain.

Specs: MacBook Pro 6,1 | Intel Core i7 | 2,67 GHz | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1067MHz | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 M 512 MB VRAM | Mac OS 10.8.5 | InDesign CC 9.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its getting progressively worse for me. Now when I try the hand tool to move about. it just bounces about half way back towards where I was.

Entering text is nearly impossible, moving objects awful.

I know my mac, (Quad core i7, 16gig ram, 27in) is a few years old, so not cutting edge. Never the less 6 was far far better.

Sadly, Adobe makes it very difficult to migrate back, I find this dubious, why I cannot open a CC document in CS6, but I cannot without a lot of faffing, so for now I have to stick with a very poor workflow.

I am nervous though, for my industry I am about to hit the busiest period of the year.

Has anyone tried totally clean install of the OS? I am willing to give this a try because other say they get good performance.

But equally I have a dell precision M67pp, quad core i7, 8 gigs, SSD. Windows 7. Its hardly good on here.  a bit better than my mac but not good overall.

Is there an email we can email too, or do Adobe have some sort of blog or something to keep customers in the loop?

Would it be unresonable to ask for a credit towards future months, because the cost right now is sticking in the craw a bit considering the performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.

MacBook Pro 15inch

OS 10.8.5

8GB Ram

AMD Radeon Display 1024MB Graphics

750GB HD

InDesign CC

Suitcase Fusion 4

Editing type is PAINFUL. New CC file or .IDML from CS6 is the same situation. My cursor seems to disappear on some files as well when editing type, the highlighted text does not appear when selecting either. I have the file that I will share with the email address above. Hope that a fix is coming.

I will share the latest file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emailed the file and then another sluggish response happened. When I type values in any setting panel (transparency, drop shadow, etc...) the same delay happens between typing and when it registers in the box... For example, I double clicked the transparency box and entered 40 - the lag was so bad that the box didn't recognize the double click which should highlight the current value and just added 40 to the default 75 setting for a new value of 7540.

I have CC installed on my home machine and will be reporting if that has the same issues. The home model is a Mac Pro 5,1 with 32GB Ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update to 9.1?

And SF4 has no support for CC apps. I'm using CC with SF5 on Mac and

Windows with no problems. I can't be sure that's the issue but it's

worth totally shutting SF4 down and trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SF is not the issue. Never had SF installed and have the same slowness that makes using ID 9.1 not really usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP, Thanks for that comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suitcase Fusion 5 installed and rebooted system. Checked plugins for InDesign CC and they are loaded. Shut down and ran applejack to verify/repair permissions. Opend InDesign and the problem still persists. I had already planned to update Suitcase, so no big there. Let me know if you want any system info/etc... to help you in resolving this. Showed my creative partner the issue and he is checking his version of InDesign CC as well. He does not use SC Fusion - but by what WAS DYP said earlier I don't see where it will be any different.

TJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is plainly obvious that every situation is different. The 9.1 patch

worked for a lot of people so don't be so quick to dismiss a suggestion

just because it didn't work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Still upgrading to Suitcase 5 today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine wrote:

It is plainly obvious that every situation is different. The 9.1 patch

worked for a lot of people so don't be so quick to dismiss a suggestion

just because it didn't work for you.

I will have to go back and read the posts here but I don't really recall anyone saying 9.1 fixed this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

in my case the 9.1 update helped to boost performance a little bit but still CC is slower in many aspects than CS6.

Specs: MacBook Pro 6,1 | Intel Core i7 | 2,67 GHz | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1067MHz | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 M 512 MB VRAM | Mac OS 10.8.5 | InDesign CC 9.1 | Font Explorer X Pro 4.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, yes, I'm on 9.1 – I know I probably should've tried the upgrade to Suitcase Fusion 5 before I hollered, but didn't see very many folks with the Suitcase Fusion 4 or earlier in the posts they entered.

I'll try the Suitcase fusion upgrade today and let you know. Thanks for your quick response.

As far as solutions go, has there been very much wholesale remedy to the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older iMac (3Ghz C2D, 8GB RAM) and while Illustrator CC runs fine, InDesign is barely usable. Dragging objects, points, etc. Panning the screen. Pretty much anything is slow. It isn't even related to my files. I can open InDesign, create a new document and just draw a square and it will be slow and stuttery. Again, this only applies to ID. Illustrator/Photoshop works smoothly.

Reseting prefs and other basic troubleshooting steps have all failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since my problems with InDesign remain (despite upgrades (Suitcase 5 and others) and install of recent versions) and since so many users are reporting problems I am really really really wondering why there is no offer for REFUND. I bought a product that I cannot use...

I would love to share a file in which you can see the slowness if you tell me in what way and what kind of file.

carolien van mulken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines