• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dinkar,

Just uploaded the 54 page magazine to the press. I used IDCC for the entire layout. I will say that it is more responsive than before the update but navigating (scrolling up/down & left/right) continues to be less than desirable.

1) I use a multifunction mouse - many times, when I right click for options, I have to do more than once to get the menu.

2) As mentioned, scrolling is very jittery and hard to control - goes too far or not at all. Especially when working with the pages that are listings (8 columns in a two page spread). Up/down as well as zooming (in or out) do not work smoothly at all.

3) <- My main reason for remaining (going back to next month) with CS6 - I copy and paste text from a web browser (database interface) to my layout, it is my calendar data. In CS6 (and all versions before), I could have InDesign behind the browser window, select the text and drag to InDesign without having to refocus the window. I could drag multiple sets of data and even scroll up or down with InDesign in the background. This is VERY convenient and speeds production dramatically. Having to select/copy and then double click into InDesign to activate the curser in the text box and then return back to the browser adds at least 1/3 more time to the process. This is 20 pages or nearly half the current magazine (at this time). I would say this is my main complaint and reason for remaining with CS6.

4) Now in all fairness, this has been an issue since the CS3 upgrade. I used to be able to copy and paste (the same data as #3) without losing formatting. I have since written a grep to solve this problem but I could be more productive (and creative) if InDesign would retain formatting on copy and paste. (Yes, I checked the Clipboard Handling preferences as well as multiple bowsers.)

I started to think some of my issues were because many of the files I access are on different volumes on a mac server. Editorial, Graphics, Adverts are all on that server - I was experiencing some latency on the network even when working with photo shop. I created an empty book for working with the calendar pages with no graphic elements and everything on my local machine - this did not improve the performance (scrolling/zooming) at all.

I'm sure you good folks at Adobe will figure this out - I hope the time I spent trying to explain the symptoms I am experiencing is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pro Publisher for sharing the details. It would help us in identifying the issues.

We would surely look into this and get back to you in case we need some more information.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed some improvement, but its still pretty slow compared to CS6. Please see below list of problem areas.

• Selecting text or selecting different objects

• Double clicking to select a line or paragraph

• Moving through pages using the hand tool is also not as fast it was with CS6

• Selecting a differnt font size is slower than it used to be

• Resizing objects is also very slow

• Moving pictures inside a picture box

• Moving obects

I am really dissapointed with Adobe. I am paying for a product that does not work right. I hope you guys can sort this out, but I am starting to lose faith.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really strange bvolunev1976.

We have worked and improved on all the issues mentioned by you be it selection, moving object, double clicking to select and have gotten it validated with many different users who were actually facing this in ID 9.0 and 9.1.

Just to make sure, I believe you are on 9.2.0.69 version.

Is it possible for you to share your files @sharewithID@adobe.com and we will then work with you to see where the problem is.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After shutting down my system and starting up it appears everytihng is working ok. Maybe the update didn't work properly becuase I didnt restart. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now its working slow again. I am at a loss there. I have plenty of ram, so Im not sure what the problem could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it also work slowly if you hide all the panels with the “TAB” key? Please try that. My speed issues are related to this and I would like to know if this workaround speeds up your situation as well.

Thanks René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helps a little, but not that much. Maybe 35% faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC was working much better, but now suddenly when I have the application open and I create a new document, the document does not appear. The window is not minimized, I checked that. Also, CC just unexpectedly quits or runs out of memory. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID CC 9.2 seemed to improve things but appears to have slowed down. Unfortunately it is now too slow to use in our production environment and we are having to revert to using ID CS6 which flies along.

I am really dissapointed in Adobe on this issue. We now have to pay a subscription to use ID, but the up-to-date version of ID CC has always, and continues to be too slow to use in a work environment. Therefore we are having to use an old version of the software just to work normally.

Please, anyone from Adobe, you've got serious performance issues with ID CC including the latest 9.2 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'am working now since the Cloud Directories with the same problem, that mij InDesign CC 2014.2 is slower than before. When I want to chance something in my Line window, I have to wait every time before it responses on my reaction. I think that Adobe is putting to much of our content into the cloud and I wish we had the choice to put all that stuff 'Off', so Adobe, make something in your following software where we can make our own choice if we want the Adobe CC-products to Synch every time with the cloud. I think my preferences are really a goed idear, but for me it can stop there...

What do you guys think of it?

Gz. Henri

Hello people,

[edit] excuses for my wrong thoughts, because the answer is the 'WACOM tablet' what makes the big problems. I had the newest driver installed and that was the thing, but I didn't realize that. I made it up by working with my Apple Mouse and suddenly I saw that everything worked properly. So I took again my Wacom Pen and holy shit... it was there again.

I had the newest driver installed, but I read on our Dutch forum OneMoreThing.nl that Wacom themselves advised to go back to the driver of 6.3.10.w2 and it worded again.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I still have the same slow experience.

I m alone?

I'm working on a retina 2.7 ghz/16go DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

Since ACC is so dysfunctional there is no good way to know if and when a new update is released or not.

Do you ever have anything constructive to add to a conversation? People come here looking for help and the last thing they need to is read this kind of nonsense.

Yes, there are people having issues, but there are far more that are working effortlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tom,

Can you please tell me what solved the problem?

Thank you,

Carolien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Carolien,

We are working on the performance issues an are really concerned about the issues that customers are facing. It would be really helpful if you could share your files @sharewithID@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running on a Mac

Processor  2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.9 (13A603)

I am so frustrated. I either sit and count to 10 after each click or watch the spinning beach ball. Running Extensis Suitcase and to select or change a font is painful. Version 16.0.2 (571)

I had no issues on CS6 even with all apps open. Ready to go back to CS6.

Help, cuz I do like all the new auto updates and features of the new CC

Sincerely, Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been troubleshooting slow CC issues for awhile now and I think I've narrowed one of IND's issues is the swatch panel. If I minimize all of my workspaces and open single panels, IND seems to run fine. As soon as I open the Swatch panel it becomes sluggish when moving text and images around and typing becomes delayed. 

Also if on a mac go to Sys Prefs > General > uncheck LCD font smoothing and see if it speeds up.

Hope this helps someone poor soul out there suffering from upgrade doldrums.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated InDesign as of yesterday afternoon in hopes of fixing the horribly slow function of InDesign. For example: this morning I was positioning 30 business cards on a 13" x 19" layout, NO IMAGES, ONLY TEXT. When I placed the card in my first area and did a step and repeat of five more across the top, it took over a minute for the text boxes to duplicate across the page. After I waited for that to finish, I duplicated those six cards five times vertically. It was still trying to duplicate them after five minutes!

InDesign CC has brought out design production speed to a near stoppage due to the slow performance.

I am now going back to CS. The duplications happen in a blink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines