• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem with you debradiblasi, Scribus is a decent alternative for some people.

Did you get that billing issue straightened out? If not, let me know and I'll see if can find someone to jump in and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final outcome: 

On the phone with Adobe for 7+ hours yesterday, including hold times. They had to set up a computer-share because none of the Library/Preferences etc. trashes worked.  Evidently the only way to make Adobe InDesign CC work was for me to create an Adobe Admin account, save the document to my desktop, and work on it there.  Explanation was that it has to do with Apple folder permissions, but that's not an issue with CS6 so I'm not convinced.  I also don't feel comfortable having an Adobe admin user as my primary; call me paranoid.  Am now using CS6 after re-downloading -- no explanation for where it went the first time.

Billing svcs. is supposed to get back with me in 4-5 days for a refund. Am also going to be asking for a refund for CC and will be using CS6 for old docs, and Scribus for new ones.

Thanks for your advice and taking the time to respond, Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explanation was that it has to do with Apple folder permissions, but that's not an issue with CS6 so I'm not convinced.  I also don't feel comfortable having an Adobe admin user as my primary; call me paranoid.  Am now using CS6 after re-downloading -- no explanation for where it went the first time. 

Interesting I thought Windows users were having the same problem.

One or two monitors? Many that have reported the CC slowness here have only one monitor. Workplace settings I will have to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use two monitors in both locations. Home with the MacPro works fine, work with the MacBook Pro is sluggish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disconnect the second monitor and reset the workspace for one,

does that help?

Let me be clear, I'm just going by one report I read elsewhere but it's

easy enough to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with slow type response on my Mac Pro using only 1 monitor with InDesign CC 9.1. Highlighting or selecting text has a lag.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob (etc),

I have a Macbook Pro (2013 — retina, 2.7ghz etc) and one monitor. If it’s useful to know, sluggish performance appears to be correlate to the amount of text in the document. It’s pretty annoying, as the longer the document, the longer the delays caused by InDesign CC’s bugs, which has a very negative, exponential effect on my output! And when I say sluggish, I’m talking somewhere between G3 processors / Commodore 64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify — the monitor is the laptop screen, I don’t have another one attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on my MacBook Pro, on which I create all of our Indesign documents (book layouts).  Had no problem until I upgraded from CS6 to CC.  Really in a deadline bind right now!  Working on what I consider a relatively simple book layout, with images.  Every action (i.e., eliminated a space between two words; or moving an image) slows to minutes or InDesign essentially stops responding. The latter is happening every time now, so that I can no longer work on the document.  Also, my CS6 application disappeared when I added CC, so I cannot go backward. Help! Help! Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 should not have just disappeared. Are you saying it's not in your applications?

You can install CS6 from creative cloud. Sign in at creative.adobe.com. Click on download center and scroll down to InDesign. Look for the drop down in the "in this version" section and change it to CS6.

You'll need to export a CC file from CC to IDML to open it in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, CS6 gone.  Only empty Utilities folder remains.

But, Bob, is there a CC solution?  I presume not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that CS6 also disappeared from my purchased products on Adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides providing files, kindly provide us what all things you are finding slow in that particular file. We are aware about the slowdown due to tranparency. What all things other than typing on a tranparent background you are finding slow?

But yes, providing files would help us in narrowing down the issues really quickly.

Thanks,

Dinkar

I already shared my files about a month ago but never heard back from the Adobe Top Tier engineer with whom I shared them.  As per my previous comment, I switched to CS6 but now it is crashing, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debradiblasi,

Could you please share more information regarding the problem you are facing. Is this specific to a file or you are experiencing the crash in a fresh document as well? Kindly share your files with us on sharewithID@adobe.com.

We would look into this.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BDinkar wrote:

Debradiblasi,

Could you please share more information regarding the problem you are facing. Is this specific to a file or you are experiencing the crash in a fresh document as well? Kindly share your files with us on sharewithID@adobe.com.

We would look into this.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Hi, Dinkar:

I've already shared files with Adobe Top Tier engineer.  Never heard back from him, though.  But thank you for the offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@debradiblasi: Just a quick note… "top tier engineer" doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does. It sounds to me like Dinkar may be on the QE team at Adobe, so sharing it may be as helpful if not more so. Saying "thank you for the offer" just means, "I'm resigned to the problem and don't really want any help fixing it." (I'm not trying to be harsh; just telling you how it sounds.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Blatner wrote:

@debradiblasi: Just a quick note… "top tier engineer" doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does. It sounds to me like Dinkar may be on the QE team at Adobe, so sharing it may be as helpful if not more so. Saying "thank you for the offer" just means, "I'm resigned to the problem and don't really want any help fixing it." (I'm not trying to be harsh; just telling you how it sounds.)

The Adobe engineer I spoke with on the phone, David, just contacted me via email, perhaps as a result of this discussion.  So I'm taking care of it from my end, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any more info on what the issue could be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't heard anything. Had an update a few days ago – wasn't a fix for the problem as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom Johnson work wrote:

Haven't heard anything. Had an update a few days ago – wasn't a fix for the problem as far as I can tell.

What update? I haven't seen any.

Since ACC is so dysfunctional there is no good way to know if and when a new update is released or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by high-level tech support (engineer) that Indesign CC is only 80% functional.  Also, that multiple columns will not work, which is what caused my slowness and eventual crashing.  He said they did not have a fix for the multiple columns issue.  Makes InDesign CC useless to me.  I sent him my document, but never heard back.  That was about a week ago.  Also never received a call from Billing regarding my double charges. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add:  The high level tech was Adobe engineer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help with the engineering part, but I'll see what I can do about finding someone to look into the billing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob.  I was communicating with someone at Adobe Help on Twitter who repeatedly said 4X that they would have someone call me, but never received a call.  The one time I actually connected with Billing the call was disconnected mid-conversation.  I am no longer optimistic, but certainly would appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't sit by the phone waiting but if you haven't heard back by

Monday, let me know and I'll rattle a few cages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines