• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send any file you have problems with at sharewithID@adobe.com as it is stated in post 182.

Kind regards,

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some interesting news. My MacPro at home DOES NOT have the same sluggish response as the MacBook using ID 9.1 (and Suitcase 5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And therein lies the problem in getting it fixed for those experiencing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ED ZACHERY. Your mission, should you choose to accept it… BEST OF LUCK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not getting it. Wherein lies the problem in getting it fixed? And what is them the solution?

thank you

Carolien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mevrouw – I have two computers. I have the sluggishness on my MacBook Pro laptop but not on my MacPro desktop at home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tom,

Good to hear that the problem is fixed(?).  I have no desktop computer and work on a LT solo. On your computers, can you compare the systems? Do you have any idea what causes the sluggishness on your MBP?

thanks, carolien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I cannot answer that question as to why the laptop has the issue and the desktop does not. That is why I am on this message thread. The problem is not solved on my laptop and it never was a problem on the desktop. The experts are puzzled and working on it, and I hope they can solve it. I have just been providing info as much as I can since the problem occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom

Have you tried the exact same files on both computers?

So files did not show this problem and some files did when I tested CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm. They were children of the same master template file, but not the exact same files. I'm on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2013 Sep 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I only own a MacBook Pro but I have seen the performance issues on a Mac Pro as well. This is really weird and must give Adobe engineers/programmers a hard time to figure out. If it was a general issue probably this would have been already solved but it seems to be “random” problem in terms of on which systems it happens. Hopefully Adobe will come up with a solution to this. For me ID CS6 still does a great job until this is being resolved.

Is there anything else users with the issues can provide besides their InDesign files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides providing files, kindly provide us what all things you are finding slow in that particular file. We are aware about the slowdown due to tranparency. What all things other than typing on a tranparent background you are finding slow?

But yes, providing files would help us in narrowing down the issues really quickly.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent a new file with descriptions of what kind of lagging occurred.

All the best René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also finding Indesign CC painfully slow on 16GB MacBook Pro (2.7 GHz Retina Display). The main thing is styling text, especially using the pipette to change styles. Text work in general is about 3 times slower than CS6 which I’ve had to resort to. Like others, simply highlighting text leads to a lengthy delay which really effects productivity.

Thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every single file that we have is excruciatingly slow. We have about 80,000 files for various clients. Every thing I do in InDesign takes forever: typing inside a text box, copy and pasting, step and repeat, moving things around the page, changing colors, changing sizes of font, changing leading of font, changing color of font, resizing images....every action inside of InDesign takes an enormous amount of time. Always have the spinning beach ball icon. I do not have this issue with any of my other InDesign versions.

Each file inside of InDesign CC almost acts as if it is accessing the Adobe website for operational purposes. Completely unsatisfactory for our production schedule.

Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me it helps to press the tab button to hide all your windows shown on my second screen for text options etc. - it's fast again as it used to be before updating to CC.

after displaying the basic window section (in german it's called "Grundlagen", don't know what it's in the english version) it works as fast as in CS6.

when i try to rearrange it the way i used to have it on my second screen it starts to get slow again...

hope this works for you as well and helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me it helps to press the tab button to hide all your windows shown on my second screen for text options etc. - it's fast again as it used to be before updating to CC.

after displaying the basic window section (in german it's called "Grundlagen", don't know what it's in the english version) it works as fast as in CS6.

when i try to rearrange it the way i used to have it on my second screen it starts to get slow again...

hope this works for you as well and helps you!

Make no difference here to tab-hide all windows on second screen. Same slowness in selecting text.

At the same time I had the same document (copy of) open in CS6 and had no delay in selecting text.

Model Name:Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:MacPro5,1
  Processor Name:6-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:3.06 GHz
  Number of Processors:2
  Total Number of Cores:12
  L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
  L3 Cache (per Processor):12 MB
  Memory:48 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if anyone has brought this up but I remember back in the day some

applications had big problems when the default printer was on a network.

Worth checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't apply to me. 

I just downloaded Scribus.  Only way I'm going to get my project done in time.  And if it works as well as people at Apple have said, then I'm leaving Adobe InDesign. 

By the way, they also double-billed me and, after being on the phone for 2+ hours, put me back on hold (over 45 minutes now, and going) because the rep's phone didn't work properly.

Perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grasping at straws are we.

CS6 = no delay in selecting text.

CC = delay in selecting text.

No other changes.

All printers and RIPs are on the network, who has printers directly connected to their computers anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What freaking crap attitude you have! I offer a legitimate suggestion and

that's your reaction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think that is legitimate suggestion your are badly mistaken.

Think about it a minute before you make such a ridiculous statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that wasn't my comment, Bob.  Just to be clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you willing to keep an open mind, if you're using dual monitors, try reseting your workspaces and keeping everything on a single monitor. Will it help? I don't know but I've read a report from someone that said it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bob,

I am working with two monitors but no change in CC behaviour whatever I did. I also used the MacBook Pro alone and unplugged the second monitor (which acts as my main screen) no difference. CC has the same issues. The problem is that CC has been rewritten from the ground up so the error can unfortunately be hidden anywhere …

MacBook Pro 6,1 | Intel Core i7 | 2,67 GHz | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1067MHz | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 M 512 MB VRAM | Mac OS 10.8.5 | InDesign CC 9.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines