• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I went back to using CS6. It worked fine until I updated it yesterday. 

This is your previous post conserning CS6 and that is what I am responding to not CC which has it's own thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

So I went back to using CS6. It worked fine until I updated it yesterday. 

This is your previous post conserning CS6 and that is what I am responding to not CC which has it's own thread.

No, the crashing began way back in September, with InDesign CC.  The applications responses were identical, once CS6 was updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the crashing began way back in September, with InDesign CC.  The applications responses were identical, once CS6 was updated.

I understand all that. What I don't understand is, and why you refuse to answer, why you have not gone back to the version of CS6 before "CS6 was updated"?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is difficult for us, many of us designers under pressure to move production to press at lightning speed, is that we don't have the time to spend HOURS troubleshooting all the little "try this" fixes, when we can go back to InDesign 5, which is what I did.

I thought that it was the software company's responsibility to do the trouble-shooting and debugging before release? I've never had trouble with InDesign EVER in the past, until now with CC.

Reading many of the posts from Adobe, it seems that there is often an attitude of "blame the victim" and a surprising lack of customer service and earnest endeavor to indeed confirm that you understand that we ARE having severe difficulties and a lack of urgency to satisfy the paying customer.

I noticed that this thread has 22,494 or so posts, while the next largest that I saw had 5,200 or so. It seems to me to indicate that there is definitely a problem.

Many of us would feel so much better if someone, anyone would just say "Yes, there are severe problems. We're working on them."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is difficult for us, many of us designers under pressure to move production to press at lightning speed, is that we don't have the time to spend HOURS troubleshooting all the little "try this" fixes, when we can go back to InDesign 5, which is what I did.

That is why I always advocate having, at minimum, good known working partition, and the a test partition to test new updates of OSs and apps. Do a restore of your working partition to your test partition anytime you need to. And from your test partition you can always create a disk image of your working partition for safe keeping. In a production enviroment one can not afford to be chasing fixes for bug bugs or workflow changes in new updates.

I thought that it was the software company's responsibility to do the trouble-shooting and debugging before release? I've never had trouble with InDesign EVER in the past, until now with CC.

Unforntunatly that does not seem to be that case anymore and makes you wonder how much software even goes through a beta testing stage anymore.

Many of us would feel so much better if someone, anyone would just say "Yes, there are severe problems. We're working on them."

Probably as close as you're going to get to that is post #268.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new update out for suitcase fusion 5 and all seems to be wroking again -- I have all the pallets open again -- back to full speed (knock on wood)

My machine specs are :
Intel Core i7 - 9700F CPU @ 3.00 GHZ 8 core 64 GB of ram 64 bit operating system NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 164 MB memory Monitor is BenQ PD3200U 4K UHD - hooked up via HDMI

and
Mac mini (M1, 2020) - 16GB Ram - 2TB SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version is your latest update ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16.0.4(590)

My machine specs are :
Intel Core i7 - 9700F CPU @ 3.00 GHZ 8 core 64 GB of ram 64 bit operating system NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 164 MB memory Monitor is BenQ PD3200U 4K UHD - hooked up via HDMI

and
Mac mini (M1, 2020) - 16GB Ram - 2TB SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for providing your valuable feedback. While we work towards resolving the issues, we want to take this engagement to the next level. We’d like to invite a limited number of people, who have been facing performance issues, to our beta program in order to work more collaboratively with them and to help us test the issues that we have fixed.

If you are interested, please drop a note with your email ID to "sharewithID@adobe.com"

Regards,

Dinkar

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought I would let you know that I have tried saving as an IDML file and the scrolling and pasting issues remain. I like to see that you are beta testing a solution - I hope it is tested and released soon. Performance on CS6 is still fine but I have not installed the latest update (Current Version 8.0.1). If I had time I would sign up for the beta group but workload prohibits participation at this time.

Info:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Any chance of an update on what is happening with this Beta! Maybe even some information sent to all the cloud users just to assure us that these problems are being investigated.

This current trend of making software subscription based so companies can save money while charging more all the while throwing out untested updates is wearing pretty thin. Go on Adobe, break the trend and act like you actually give a hoot about your customers. Maybe even team up with Autodesk, I'm aware this wont solve any problems but at least I could save time ranting.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rumor is the patch will be released tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I turned off items in preferences as suggested and that helped but not enough. Looking forward to this. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expect the update within 48 hours or less. And this is not a rumor!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 9.2 is now live and available for download and installation via the Adobe Creative Cloud installer.

This update is the one that has numerous fixes for signifcant performance improvement to address the issues discussed on these forums.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for me its smoother than a bar of soap in soapy water. So that was nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 9.2 update has fixed the performance issues for me. Thank you Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally InDesign CC has the right performance to work with. Problems = fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally working. I no longer can go to lunch while objects are duplicating in step and repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. We have worked hard towards fixing all the performance issues that we got to hear through user forums and bug reports and got them validated by many users who were facing these issues.

Since now we have released an update(9.2) containing all the performance fixes, it would be good to know from all,  whether their performance issues are resolved? Please share your feedback.

Thank you all for all your feedback on this forum so far.

Regards,

Dinkar

InDesign Engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we want to know what the performance problem was

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dinkar,

Thank you - and all of the team - for your great work in solving all of the performance issues:) As noted in the prerelease program, InDesign works SUPERBLY now and is back up to speed. This update is WONDERFUL!! It is like night and day compared to how sluggishly it was performing before. Everything has been fixed and it is SO wonderful working in InDesign again:) I have really been giving it a run for its money since the update (as well as in the prerelease versions) and it is TOP NOTCH!

Best,

Christine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dinkar - I have updated the CC on the Mac (production computer) and will layout the February issue with it. Based on the responses so far, I am looking forward to the improved performance. Will post next week my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do feel this latest update has improved the performance issues i've been having (so far). However I am still noticing lots of activity when ID is running in the background on Mavericks. It seems I can have 20 apps open but if ID is open my drive is continually working. Just something else to look into if you're bored. Thanks Dinkar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Christine, @Mr_Bimg : Thanks for sharing your feedback. It's good to hear that your performance problems are now resolved.

About the lot of activities when ID is running in the background", we will see why this is happening.

@Pro Publisher : Waiting for your feedback.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines