• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To show you what I mean please have a look at this screen capture I made: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qar1f2qzeypdjq7/CS6_vs_CC.mov

The first polygon was drawn in InDesign CS6 the second in InDesign CC – the video is in real time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add my experience. I am a long time Adobe InDesign CS6 user. I just installed InDesign CC and it feels bit sluggish to me too.

When I double click on a word (for example) it takes a half beat to hightlight the word. (vs CS6 which is instant).

It also feels like slightly slower when typing in words (split second shorter for a letter to show up on screen after I punch a key). Again, popping back to CS6 and things feel zippier.

I am running Mac OS X version 10.6.8 on a Mac Book Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GC 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Any tips for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the issue I'm having, as well (posted in another thread, sorry).  Selecting text is, like you say, a half beat behind.  Hit Command-Shift ten times quickly to highlight a range and you can sit back and watch it catch up.  Not so in CS6 -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gremlins,

I think I might have a clue; the system requirements (or at least recommended) for CC are for OSX 10.7 or greater. I think CC needs Lion or Mountain Lion to function at its best. Worth checking out. Hope this helps.

edit: However, I notice others having performance issues with 10.8.x... so maybe this isn't so important.

Cheers!

Mikey

Message was edited by: HeyMikey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for InDesign. Snow Leopard is supported.

http://boblevine.us/is-your-computer-ready-for-adobes-new-creative-cloud-applications/

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, guess I'd better upgrade my MacOS, but I was getting the exact same text-select lag on Windows 8.  Just thought I should mention it -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 10.8.4 on a brand new Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, 2.7 processor, 512 SSD. I'm also experiencing this slowness with CC. Things like dragging an image around the pasteboard or selecting or typing text are extremely slow and laggy. I am working while connected to an external display, so I don't think it has anything to do with a graphic slowdown related to the retina display.

I installed CC fresh, and did not copy over any settings or preferences from CS6. The only things I imported were my document presets and PDF export presets.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I highly doubt that will solve anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  I did upgrade to Mountain Lion, just to see if it would make a difference, but no!  BTW, same laggy behaviour on three machines and two platforms -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this only happening on notebook computers? I've looked through several threads, and most people complaining about this seem to be on MacBook Pros, both older and brand new models. I wonder if it has something to do with CC not properly throttling up the system or utilizing the cores? Maybe graphic drivers specific to the MacBook Pro line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here. I'm using a MBP Retina 2.6 GHz and 8 GB RAM. I just bought this laptop and thought maybe it had something to do with the HiDPI rendering, but I see some people here are seeing lag on regular MBPs. It's not unusable, but moving from the super quick CS6 it feels like a real downgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same lag problem on a Windows 8 machine, a Mac Pro and a Mac Mini.  Never an issue of any kind with CS6 on these systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that debunks my theory. Thanks for the info. Hopefully Adobe addresses this quickly. In my case, it's made CC almost unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a MacPro with 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 16 GB ram and My InDesign CC is very sluggish as well. I am still using 10.6.8 but sounds like that isn't the issue.  Anyone have a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least now it sounds like enough of an issue that Adobe will have to get on it.  Maybe even today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of things that can slow down InDesign. For example, do you by any chance have Edit > Spelling > Dynamic Spelling turned on?

I wrote up other ideas here, a while back:

http://indesignsecrets.com/why-is-indesign-soooo-slow.php

However, as Bob and others have said, I have generally found CC to be faster than CS6, not slower. So something is certainly going on. (I'm on a Macbook Air, 10.8.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David. I don't have Dynamic Spelling turned on, and I'm using all default preferences.

In regards to your linked article, I have 16 GB RAM, the issue occurs regardless of the display quality setting used (yes, it's just as bad with "fast" as "high-quality"!), preflight is off, no cross references, screen drawing is set to "delayed", and no font plug-ins installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, David and Bob thank you for your tips. But I think there is more to it, too. The only thing in which InDesign CC is faster is to set up a new document and to quit. Please, all of you who experience those performance issues file a detailed bug report on the related Adobe site: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I think the best thing we as users can do is giving as much information on the matter as possible to get this sorted out as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I think I figured something out!  This lagginess seems to occur when opening a document created in CS6.  If I create a new document and a text box, text selection is back to normal CS6-style speed.  If I copy a text box from the laggy document into the new document, the text selection in that box is then fine.  I don't yet know if it will bog down when the document builds, but I might try and recreate my project in this way, and I will report back.  Might cross-post this in other thread -- Jon.

PS: The laggy document and the non-laggy document can be open at the same time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, Jon! So it might also help to open the old CS6 file, do a save as IDML, then open that IDML file in CC again... sometimes that cleans out old corruption and weirdness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is interesting!  The problem seems to exist in the document, not the program.  As to the IDML suggestion, I thought I had tried that, but couldn't remember so I tried it again and for sure the lagginess persisted.  But copying and pasting boxes from the laggy documents into a new one works well!  I am going to try and recreate my whole document this way and see if the problem arises, so I will report back ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this as well. Opening a CS6 document causes the slowdowns, but creating a new document, while I wouldn't call it perfect, is considerably more responsive. Exporting a CS6 document as IDML and opening in CC does not resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka!  The lagginess returns when a transparent object is on the page.  Maybe there's a setting to tweak. UPDATE: problem (lag with transparent object on page) disappears when you turn transparency off in display performance preference.  Behaviour identical on both Mac and Windows.  Also, in Windows, text selection colour changes from dark blue to light blue when you change transparencey blend space from CMYK to sRGB!  Thanks -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon, can you please try the things which make my InDesign so slow? Just draw a shape with lots of points with the pen tool and do this with the information panel open and closed. Please tell us if you have a performance issue with this, too. And if there is a difference between info panel open and closed. Thanks, René

The lagginess I experience is also evident in new documents solely created in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And check out my screen capture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qar1f2qzeypdjq7/CS6_vs_CC.mov

Remember that the recording additionally slowed down the behaviour

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rene, I watched your video when you first posted it.  I just tried your action doing the exact same thing as you did in your video, both with info open and closed, and the result was super-speedy.  Like, no delay at all!  This is on my Windows machine, and I'm not at work (thankfully) to test the Macs there, but I will install on my MacBook Pro later on and do the same test.  I'll post the result in a little while.  That is a crazy delay you're getting!  UPDATE: same speedy results on MacBook Pro, so not sure what you're up against.  In fact, InDesign CC is pretty quick overall, as long as you have transparency turned off in the display performance preference (with any transparent objects on the page, that is).  That's a pretty serious issue, but hopefully one which will be resolved soon -- Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines