• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC won't save my files

Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been working in InDesign for a week now and since yesterday I started noticing that at times InDesign won't undo and I am not able to save my file. I keep hitting command + s while working but it just doesn't save or give an error message. If I go on the File menu all the save and save as commands are grayed out. If you close the file and click on the save button InDesign just gives a message that the file cannot be saved. I have to close the file without saving and redo all the work. Because InDesign doesn't give an error when pressing command + s I would do a lot of work under the impression everything gets saved but it doesn't and I keep losing a lot of work.

Also CC runs very slow. There are times when the program just "freezes" for awhile while InDesign does somethings in the background and only after it is done you can start working again. The pages panel takes ages to load the previews onto the pages and while it is doing so I cannot do anything at all.

Starting to think I should have stayed with CS6.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 249 Replies 249
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this issue also.

I have no graphics tablet installed (Nor have I ever on this machine), but I find it happens most often when I'm draging and dropping files from Bridge over to InDesign. I save to my local hard drive and all the images I drag are from the same drive.

This seems like such a critical issue with inDesign as being unable to save your files, or undo your changes is a huge flaw in the basics of a program.

I hope Adobe sort this out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video of it happening too. This MUST be a critical issue for the InDesign Dev team.

http://screencast.com/t/0YAtcIVR5en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brutalism,

I am trying the steps that you have mentioned but still issue is not reproducible at my end. Is this happening with some paricular format files like jpeg, pngs..or with any file? Can you provide the file if it is always reproducble with some particular files? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to reproduce this issue, is to use an Adobe InDesign CS6 file, and try to open it in Adobe CC. When you do, after a few adjustments and changes, you will no longer be able to save the file. This requires you to export to IDML, and rebuild the file. But even that doesn't fix it. You have to do the same thing every time you want to save the file.

This issue has been reproduced it every single time I try to open up a Converted CS6 file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried exporting the CS6 file to .imdl first and then opening that in CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because I no longer have access to CS6, since the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have both but you would have to uninstall CC first and then reload CS6 and CC in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless, that's a silly work around. This should be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have they fixed the problem of overwriting the shared files with the earlier version if you install out of order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's at least been fixed between InDesign CC and InDesign CS6 because the Adobe Creative Cloud lets you install CS6 AFTER you've installed InDesign CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peterson,

Could you share any CS6( if possible) file with which you are seeing the problem? You can mail the file @sharewithID@adobe.com. Also, Where are you saving the file? local drive or @network location? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone encounters the issue again, please provide us with the following information :

1. What happens to other documents( in case multiple documents are open) when the save/saveas/save a copy gets disabled? Can those be saved? Or save is disabled across all the documents?

2. Now when this situation occurs(Save/save as gets disabled) on your system, Run the javascript(provided below), and see what error is returned by javascript and provide us that error.

What is required to run the java script( in case you are not aware) :

- Paste the java script at the following location : Users/labuser/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/en_US/Scripts( create a text document and add the script in it and save it as test.js)

- Open the script panel ( Windows>Utilities->Scripts)

- You will find test.js in the User folder

- From the flyout, select ‘run  script’

You should get some errors in this case. Save the screenshot and kindly provide us with the same.

Here is the java script :

var myFolder = new Folder("~/Desktop/Test");

if (!myFolder.exist) myFolder.create();

app.activeDocument.save(myFolder.fsName + "\\" + "test.indd");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the script appears to be Mac-centric, which looks like it's OK since I don't see anyone reporting Windows as the OS here...

>> - Paste the java script at the following location : Users/labuser/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/en_US/Scripts

I'm neither a Mac user nor a scripter, but that seems to imply that everyone is is using an account named labuser and that they are using the en_US version. I think you should be using

Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/<language of your installation>/Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right Peter. Thanks for the correction. I should have modified before pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. It's probably the only thing I have to contribute to this particular thread.

I'd hate to see someone have trouble installing or running the script though, and not know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue quite regularly.

On new documents. Especially after dragging an image or images from bridge.

Forced to close without saving.

Mac OS 10.8.4

Indesign CC up to date

any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add myself to the crowd of people who are having this problem. Exactly as everyone else is having it - add images to the document and it stops working. Exporting as IDML works fine, but it's not a long-term solution.

It only just started yesterday, and seemingly completely out of the blue. Looking at where my work stopped being saved, it was seemingly just after I had copied and pasted some content from a CS6 document to my fresh CC document. The next save point was fine, and then when I added an image after that, the thing stopped working. Now any new documents are also not accepting images without breaking.

I will try a preference reset...

Update: The preference reset method did not fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be good info. Here's something to try to test whether it's the CS6 content.

Try it again, but instead of copy/paste, create a snippet from CS6 and then place the snippet.

Not anything concrete but worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, I will give it a try.

However, at this point adding any images, in any file (either new or existing) is creating the issue. Sometimes it is only when I add a second image though, which seems strange. Other times it is triggered as soon as I add any image.

I don't think I will be able to test if it is the CS6 copy/paste that is the issue because my InDesign just seems to 'have the problem' now. It may be worth trying it out on an unaffected copy of ID though?

Update: creating a snippet in CS6 and adding it to my CC document also creates the issue (unavailable undo, save etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@All, I need help in trying to nail down the problem. So far we managed to reproduce the problem once on our Mac but we did not get the reproducible steps. For us also it happened while trying to drag - drop files from Bridge to Indesign CC.

Anyone who now can reproduce the issue consistently and can spare some time, kindly provide his/her mail ID @ sharewithID@adobe.com. We will then work with you and try finding out the root cause.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a design deadline today but would be happy to help next week if no one else has the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Benauthoright. Kindly share you email ID @sharewithID@adobe.com so that I can send you the details as what needs to be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also haveing this issue with image heavy files that were built in INDesign 6. First I noticed Undo was not working and then I tried to save and hit the greyed out panel. I have a huge project due Tuesday and planned to work the entire weekend on it. Is there anything that can be done?

I also have a file that will not export or print. Shows pages as white. I have not done anything different to this file than any others. I have worked with INDesign since the first version and have never had so many issues pile up like this. Ideas???

Using CC, Mac 10.8.4. Never used Bridge. Was Placing Photoshop images, not adding text.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines