• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC won't save my files

Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been working in InDesign for a week now and since yesterday I started noticing that at times InDesign won't undo and I am not able to save my file. I keep hitting command + s while working but it just doesn't save or give an error message. If I go on the File menu all the save and save as commands are grayed out. If you close the file and click on the save button InDesign just gives a message that the file cannot be saved. I have to close the file without saving and redo all the work. Because InDesign doesn't give an error when pressing command + s I would do a lot of work under the impression everything gets saved but it doesn't and I keep losing a lot of work.

Also CC runs very slow. There are times when the program just "freezes" for awhile while InDesign does somethings in the background and only after it is done you can start working again. The pages panel takes ages to load the previews onto the pages and while it is doing so I cannot do anything at all.

Starting to think I should have stayed with CS6.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 249 Replies 249
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too!

Disabled the Suitcase Font Activation plug-in in IDCC and was able to open and save problem files.

I'll head over to Extensis and make them aware of the problem. Maybe they can get an update going quickly.

Thanks aaprinter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm investigating to see if it's a font conflict or Fusion conflict. I'm just glad I can save files again. Funny how you take for granted things like saving files.

I got burned for many hour thinking my files were saved. If Adobe could just put some kind of verification in to make sure a file was saved correctly, then post an error dialog if it did not. That would save a lot of frustration. RIght now the only way I could tell in app is when the icon would lite up in title bar after a successful save, instead of being dim in an unsaved state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you trash Suitcase entirely, or temporarily disable? And how did you manage your fonts afterwards?

I'm not sure what steps to take to disable the plug in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I just disabled the Suitcase plug-in.

Quit IDCC. Go to Applications>IndesignCC>Plug-Ins>Font Activation. Move the Font Activation folder out of the Plug-ins folder. Restart IDCC.

You can load your fonts into the fonts folder in IDCC or use Font book to load the fonts you need. This is a hassle since they won't auto activate and deactivate but it's a workaround.

I just stopped using CC for now. I am waiting for Extensis to come out with a new plug-in before I try IDCC again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to stick with CC for this document. I'm using some of their typekit fonts. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to miss using Suitcase for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. (with your plug-ins in place, not removed from Adobe Plug-ins folder)

Go to Suitcase Fusion.

Pull down the Suitcase Fusin menu, got to the Plug-in manager.

uncheck the enabled box for Adobe InDesignCC

hit done, then restart Adobe InDesign CC.

This turns off the auto activate fonts. you can still use Suitcase Fusin, you just have to manually activate the fonts.

My files save fine using this option, and I still use Suitcase to activate fonts.

(Probably better this way, because you know exactly what fonts you are activating instead of Suitcase doing it for you)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone reported this issue to us today and I've written it up so our developers can address it.

For the short term, you don't have to completely disable the plugin. In the plugin settings (in InDesign, go to Type -> Suitase Fusion 5 -> Suitcase Fusion 5 Auto-activation settings), turn off 'Activate fonts in embedded objects', then click on 'OK'. That should allow you to work around the issue while still using auto-activation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the 'undo' issue ever be fixed?  Usually I can only undo one time in a document before it goes inactive.

..CLASS SCHEDULE:

MON: 6a. Hot Power Vinyasa. PURE West

TUE: 8:15p. Vinyasa 1/2. PURE East

WED: 6:30a. Yoga For Runners (6 wk series). PURE West

THU: 8:15p. Vinyasa 1/2. PURE East

FRI: 6:15a. Hot Power Vinyasa. PURE East

10a. Vinyasa Flow 2. YogaWorks Union Square

SAT: 10a. Hot Power Vinyasa. PURE West

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advice from aaprinter was very helpful. I did this and haven't had any problems all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first workaround that actually solves my problems. Thanks. Now for Adobe  Suitace to get an actual fix for this issue.

My issues were as follows.

Mac OSx 10.9.2 - MacBook Pro

1) had a cs4 indesign file saved on my iMac, transferred it to CC Files folder so i could access on my MacBook, which i could. Spent over an hour making changes and amends and went to CMD Z (undo), instead of doing this command it revered back to about 20 states prior and did not go back though each step as it should do. Then went to save the doc and was told that the file already existed and did i want to overwrite it. yes i did. But it wouldnt save.

So a combination of files not saving / overwriting existing files and the CMD Z functions not working...The suitcase auto font activion (deactivation in this case has worked, but is not ideal - albeit I can now save my files).

Other options tried

Reset preferences - Failed and did not resolve issue

Uninstall/Reinstall CC Indesign - Failed to resolve issue

Save as IDML file - Failed to resolve issue

Seems to be a font issue?? or bug with suitcase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all -- Count me as another frustrated InDesign user trying to figure out the greyed out Undo/Redo and Save/Save As issue.

I have been in contact with Dinkar at Adobe, and sent him my preference files as requested.

I have executed the recommendations in Peter Spier's helpful article here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

That seemed to work for a few hours -- but again I've now lost my Undo/Redo functionality, as well as my Save/Save as functionality.

I cannot duplicate. I can export as PDF.

Dinkar suggested that the problem seems to be isolated to users with the Extensis plugin. For some, apparently, disabling that plugin, or possibly updating it, resolves the issue (though I assume also removes the use of the Fusion Suitcase tool.)

That is not my issue. do not use Fusion, or any Extensis product. I do not have any of the plugins installed.

My system an 2013 iMac running OSX 10.9.2

My version of InDesign is fully up to date -- or so my Creative Cloud tells me -- Version 9.2.1

I appreciate the various conversations happening here to remedy this problem.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

Below is Dinkar's message relating to Extensis for anyone dealing with that issue:

"So far, we have found out that the problem seemed to be with the extensis plugin. If you disable the plugin, the problem gets resolved.

Also, there seemed to be an extensis plugin update : http://www.extensis.com/support/product-support/universal-type-server-4/.

So, if you are using extensis plug-in, try either disabling the plugin or update it through the link provided above."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a different font manager it might be worth a shot disabling that, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Dinkar and the Adobe InDesign engineers.

I delete the InDesign Defaults and Saved Data Files and all is well for a few precious minutes.

After successfully utilizing Save/Save As and Undo/Redo for a time, I changed the UNITS and INCREMENTS prference from Picas to Inches. (I guess I was feeling my oats).

After that--my first interaction with resetting a preference--I again lost functionality for Save/Save As and Undo/Redo.

I will again have to trash the Defaults and Saved Data Files, lose the work I did, and try again.

Perhaps not touching my preferences is in order -- though not sure that the problem will not return without a manual switch of something.

Just passing along my experience.

Also, thanks Peter - will try your suggestion to disable my font manager.

Could it be that I am using fonts in the project from Adobe Typekit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I've trashed preferences and started rebuilding the file again. Saved often. It appeared to save, but when I had an "undo" glitch, it returned me to a version last saved hours before all the supposed saves. I'm using ID CC 9.2 and Mavericks.

I'm reading the posts about Extensis. I am using 16.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experienced the issue where changing fonts from Franklin Gothic to Minion Pro fixed the problem. As soon as I changed the font to Avenir, it l lost save and undo again.

No idea if the font change was contributing factor or if, after a certain number of minutes, Adobe InDesign automatically regenerates Saved Data and Defaults files, which then strips Undo and Save functions.

(Quit, Trash Preferences. Start Over)

I have rebuilt files using different graphicis to see if that is the issue. Not.

I have re-installed InDesign. Not.

(Quit, Trash Preferences. Start Over)

Closed Mac Font Book. Don't have installed and have never used Fusion Suitcase or Extensis.

At the end of my rope.  Completely befuddled and frustrated. Work has come to a halt.

Will be watching this thread and hoping.

RIch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you having trouble with other files, particularly brand new ones, too? If not, and especially if this is a converted legacy file, a trip through .idml would be in order. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, that is an interesting workaround. While I continue to be vexed by Undo/Save gremlin, I was able to export to IDML successfully file after making changes to document. I can then reopen the file in InDesign with changes intact - though it does not clear out the Undo/Save issue. No improvements there. But at least I can save somehow without losing work.

Thanks for sharing. Not ideal, but better than before.

And yes, I am experiencing the same problems with both new files and existing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating. I have this problem now and then, since the update to 9.2.1 a couple of days ago. Thanx for the IDML tip. But I guess there should be a bug fixer. You are not alone in this!

Magda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Seems to be happening after an export to a PDF for me. Or after I open a CS6 file. I am running InDeisgn CC 9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on 9.2.1 running on OS X 10.8.5

I was able to export the file to idml and then reopen. Issue was still there until I relinked all image links that were missing. After that my issue was solved and I was able to save as ind again.

Haven't used InDesign for longer periods of time though since, so hoping this won't happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same happened to me this morning... ended up losing a couple of hours work... very annoying.

I thought it was od that I couldn't undo using the Command Z shortcut... then when I tried to save, it said the file couldn't be saved.

I have just updated Java yesterday.

Seems like a long-running bug and is very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have my Indesign CC working. I completely un-installed all of my CC apps. Un-installed all previous Creative Suites, Downloaded Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and ran it, Used Disk Utility to repair permissions, restarted my Mac and installed all my CC apps again. So on top of the 3 weeks I had been unable to use Indesign CC I also lost another 3-4 hours of not being able to use any other apps while performing this workaround. Not happy with Adobe at all for their lack of input with this. But I am now happy because I can finally crack on with my work and catch up with customers design work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooookay.

So new fascinating bug.

«Undo» sometimes stops working. I can still save, save as. I can even do «undo» when I work on, but sometimes it just stops working.

This is a weird one. At first I thought it was because I re-saved a file, but it seems to be quite random. . .

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does seem to randomly screw up. Mine is working ok at the moment; I can Save and Undo. I'm so excited to be able to use such powerful features lol.  I'm sure it won't last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this trouble too.

Mac Mini:

Processor  2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory  16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Wacom Create tablet

Driver: 5.3.0-3

Bamboo Dock version 4.1.0

I was running a slightly downrev version of InDesign, but upgraded to 9.2 and am having the same issues.

I have turned off sync settings with no effect.

I have rebuilt my settings with no effect.

I have now turned off touch on my tablet, and added a trackpad for mouse functions.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that it seems to occur when I accidentally rotate an object from a corner handle with the touch function. I'm not sure exactly how to do it on purpose to see if it's a repro case-- I have only done this by accident when mousing quickly past a handle.

This is making me nuts. Seriously. I've lost hours and hours of work today, and I'm about to miss a big deadline. I'm saving to idml every 15 minutes now (set a periodic reminder alarm) but this isn't a solution.

I'm guessing my next step is to clean every whiff of Adobe off this system and reinstall. But I don't have time to do that right now, and as this is my main workstation with all my archives the prospect is not very appealing. I don't want to screw up my Lightroom library or lose all my Photoshop and Illustrator tweaks trying to deal with an InDesign problem.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines