• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign changed my Roboto Font in Otf and tells me it is missing.

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,
today I opened a file I created half a year ago where I used Roboto as font. Suddenly, out of nowhere Indesign is telling me that fonts are missing and lists Roboto ... (otf).
But I never used any otf Roboto. Half a year ago, I had Roboto activated via Adobe Fonts. And I still have. Nothing changed since that.

So why is it suddenly giving me that message. And changing the fonts to Roboto, that is still available in Indesign obviously messes up my layout. 

So what can I do?

I already tried to deactivate and activate the fonts again, restart, activate the sync in the creative cloud control pannel etc.

And if there is no fix, does anyone know where I can gat an Roboto otf version? I couldn`t find one anywhere.

Thanks for your help

Sebastian

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Hi Sebastian,

my guess is, at some point you used the TrueType version of Roboto from Google Fonts.

And at another time this font was missing and was substituted with the OTF version of Adobe Fonts.

Perhaps you'll see a mix of the OTF version for some styles and the TrueType version of other styles.

What I would do:

Either stick with the OTF version from Google Fonts for all the styles or with the TrueType version from Google Fonts. Do not allow a mix. To sort this out you have to make sure th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent this post two times because the forum software did not show my post the first time.

Also did an addition in my second post. So scratch this one:

Hi Sebastian,

my guess is, at some point you used the TrueType version of Roboto from Google Fonts.

And at another time this font was missing and was substituted with the OTF version of Adobe Fonts.

Perhaps you'll see a mix of the OTF version for some styles and the TrueType version of other styles.

What I would do:

Either stick with the OTF version from Google Fonts for all the styles or with the TrueType version from Google Fonts. Do not allow a mix. To sort this out you have to make sure that only one sort of Roboto is available in your system. To get info what actually is used open the Find Fonts… dialog of the main menu Type ( in my German version of InDesign this is Schrift > Schriftart suchen/ersetzen…), select every font style one after another and look up the information you'll find under the More Info button.

Also read into my answer here:

Problems with baseline shift when editing text boxes
Laubender, Jul 27, 2021

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/problems-with-baseline-shift-when-editing-text-b...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sebastian,

What I would do:

Either stick with the OTF version from Google Fonts for all the styles or with the TrueType version from Google Fonts. Do not allow a mix. To sort this out you have to make sure that only one sort of Roboto is available in your system. To get info what actually is used open the Find Fonts… dialog of the main menu Type ( in my German version of InDesign this is Schrift > Schriftart suchen/ersetzen…), select every font style one after another and look up the information you'll find under the More Info button.

Also read into my answer here:

Problems with baseline shift when editing text boxes
Laubender, Jul 27, 2021

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/problems-with-baseline-shift-when-editing-text-b...

Look up Adobe Fonts for the OTF version of Roboto:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/roboto

No idea if the various styles there have a match with the version of Google Fonts, by name and number of styles:

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto#styles

Note: The number of avaialble styles seem to be different.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a similar problem.

In my case, I have Roboto active through Adobe Fonts (OTF), but some days ago, Regular weight suddenly became "variable", although I cannot modify the variable settings of the font. When I export to PDF, Roboto regular can't be seen at all.

Only if I deactivate Roboto regular on Adobe and activate it through Google (TTF) it seems to work (variable setting are fine).

What could be wrong with Roboto "variable" on Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe,

first of all many thanks for your answer and sorry for my late response. I really was able to find an old installed version of Roboto, but it was kind of a nightmare to get it deleted. I had to hunt it down in the regedit of windows and even there it was't possible to delete them all. 
But just now, I activated Roboto again vie the link you sent me. And now it worked. ( I deactivated Roboto in Adobe Fonts when I had the problem)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines