• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Cloud Libraries can't be color managed?

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements added to the CC Library from InDesign only allow CMYK Transparency Blend Space!! Is seems not possible to change to RGB.

Follow me through:

1. Create a new doc, RGB blend space.

2. Add a box, apply a gradient to it (any gradient, but I would suggest to you to use RGB strong values, 100% Red to 100% Green).

3. Select the element and drag it to the CC Libraries panel.

4. Close and discard the new document created.

5. Go to the CC Libraries panel, double-click on the newly created element.

6. Check Edit >> Transparency Blend Space: your asset is in CMYK!

7. Change it to RGB.

8. Save.

9. Close doc.

10. Go to the CC Libraries panel, and open the element again.

11. Check again the Transparency Blend Space: it ignored the change to RGB and remains in CMYK!

I have made some testing and it seems that, as far as you use the RGB element in a RGB document, it will preserve color values and attributions - so, if you know what you doing and how to handle color, not risk whatsoever.

Nevertheless, it is weird that InDesign CC Libraries does not allow RGB space, as it leads to confusion...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Suripanta  wrote

…BUT if you double-click in the CC Library element, it will always "create" a new document where to display the saved object for edition. Well: this document, regardless of what the native condition of that object was (e.g. it was originally made in a RGB doc), will be CMYK and this can't be changed, which can lead to confusion.

Well, not always.

It depends on the intent of a document you set when no document is open with Document Setup.

If the intent of Document Setup with no docu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Suripanta ,

I think, you are drawing the wrong conclusions.

Blend Space is no property of a single object, but a property of an InDesign document.

CC Libraries do not store InDesign documents. CC Libraries can store single objects like your rectangle with the RGB gradient.

So the value of blend space can be changed any time after or before you drag out the asset to a document. Or if you create a new temp document by double-clicking the asset you can change blend space afterwards.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

Blend Space is no property of a single object, but a property of an InDesign document.

CC Libraries do not store InDesign documents. CC Libraries can store single objects like your rectangle with the RGB gradient.

So the value of blend space can be changed any time after or before you drag out the asset to a document. Or if you create a new temp document by double-clicking the asset you can change blend space afterwards.

Regards,
Uwe

Hi Laubender, thanks for getting involved in the discussion.

Have you tried following my step-by-step guide above to see what I mean? Because your answer seems not to target my point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I followed your step-by-step discription. I do not agree to some of your points.

A library is storing a frame with a gradient fill. It's just like you are doing a snippet IDMS file of a selected rectangle.

CC Libraries will not change the color model of the stored object. If the applied gradient is using two RGB colors you still can see the two colors as RGB in the Swatches Panel after dragging out the asset to a e.g. a new document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

Of course I followed your step-by-step discription. I do not agree to some of your points.

A library is storing a frame with a gradient fill. It's just like you are doing a snippet IDMS file of a selected rectangle.

CC Libraries will not change the color model of the stored object. If the applied gradient is using two RGB colors you still can see the two colors as RGB in the Swatches Panel after dragging out the asset to a e.g. a new document.

Regards,
Uwe

Hi Uwe, thanks again. I don't really read what you desagree about. Your point is correct and says the same I said above: it won't change the value of color.

BUT if you double-click in the CC Library element, it will always "create" a new document where to display the saved object for edition. Well: this document, regardless of what the native condition of that object was (e.g. it was originally made in a RGB doc), will be CMYK and this can't be changed, which can lead to confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suripanta  wrote

…BUT if you double-click in the CC Library element, it will always "create" a new document where to display the saved object for edition. Well: this document, regardless of what the native condition of that object was (e.g. it was originally made in a RGB doc), will be CMYK and this can't be changed, which can lead to confusion.

Well, not always.

It depends on the intent of a document you set when no document is open with Document Setup.

If the intent of Document Setup with no document open is e.g. Web Intent the blend space for a temp document when double-clicking the asset in CC Libraries will be RGB instead of the default CMYK one.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

If the intent of Document Setup with no document open is e.g. Web Intent the blend space for a temp document when double-clicking the asset in CC Libraries will be RGB instead of the default CMYK one.

Regards,
Uwe

Hey! That is cool, I didn't realise about this.

True story: when you double-click in an object in your CC Library, this object will open in a newly-temporary-fresh document for you to edit.

This "edition" doc will be created following the Transparency Blend Mode that is set in your InDesign when no document is open.

CC Libraries cannot remember, store or retain individual information on Transparency Blend for objects. If you edit it, change it and save it again, nothing will really happen.

Thank you both Uwe and Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CC Libraries cannot remember, store or retain individual information on Transparency Blend for objects. If you edit it, change it and save it again, nothing will really happen.

Right, that's expected behavior. Objects have no transparency blend information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Uwe, the Transparency Blend Space is a document attribute, and only affects the preview of color on spreads that contain a transparent object—it doesn't affect the actual color mode of the object.

So if you dragged an RGB filled object out of the Library on to a page that contains a transparent object, and the document's blend space is set to CMYK, the RGB object would preview as the closest CMYK color, but the object itself remains as RGB.

Make sure your Gradient Swatch Color Stops are actually RGB before adding it to the library. If the Stop Color is a Swatch, make sure the chosen swatch Color Mode is RGB :

Screen Shot 31.png

Here I saved a frame filled with my RGB gradient to my Library. If I drag the saved Library item into a new document, the Gradient Swatch comes with it, and its Color Stops remain as RGB colors even though the document's Transparency Blend Space is CMYK. The preview also is RGB because there are no transparent objects on the page

Screen Shot 32.png

If I add a transparent object to the spread the CMYK blend space kicks in and changes the page preview:

Screen Shot 33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/rob+day  wrote

So if you dragged an RGB filled object out of the Library on to a page that contains a transparent object, and the document's blend space is set to CMYK, the RGB object would preview as the closest CMYK color, but the object itself remains as RGB.

Hi again Rob

That is correct and it confirms what I mentioned in my first post: as far as you use the RGB element in a RGB document, it will preserve color values and attributions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines